Thread: Error while installing a hardware device in Vista

Error while installing a hardware device in Vista

Am not sure to post this query here or in some other section, sorry if i am making any mistake. Recently i upgraded one of my system to Windows Vista. Every thing is working fine, but i get error while installing some of the devices like printer, graphics card, etc.. System is just unable to install these devices and that is a huge problem for me. Do you guys have any idea about this device installing error on Windows Vista ? Please help me out of this.

Re: Error while installing a hardware device in Vista

Most probably this problem is caused by a corrupt file infcache.1. This file is found in the under \ windows \ inf, but has restricted access. Deleting this file can force Windows to rebuild the next time that Windows locate the drivers for installation, but for this we edit the permissions on this file and give the user group with full control over it. Or, install a patch released by Microsoft to solve this same problem and basically installs a fully functional copy of the file infcache.1

If the hardware is not working properly, you may need a new driver, whether you have installed the device recently or that would install it when you purchased your computer. Every device needs a driver that allows them to communicate with the team. Sometimes it is necessary to update the drivers. All drivers must be compatible with this version of Windows.

In most cases, the drivers included with Windows, or can be found through the updates offered by Windows Update, which is opened from the Control Panel. If Windows does not have the necessary drivers, you can usually find on the disk supplied with the hardware or device you want, or at the manufacturer's website

In the installation of USB devices this problem is particularly controversial because device drivers are installed or uninstalled, depending on whether the device is physically connected to your computer, in its corresponding port or not. As it would be possible to get this same error message simply by connecting a USB stick (flash drive) to your computer. The culprit is as you know, the file infcache.1

There are several things you can try if you getting an device installation error:

• Try to check for the updated drivers. You can do this from Windows Update where you can click on View available updates to determine if an updated driver for your device.
    • Make sure your hardware is compatible with your computer and the Windows version. If the device is not compatible, you should seek the appropriate driver.
    • Many devices require special drivers to function properly. Be sure to install the software discs that came with the device.
    • Restart the computer. It may be necessary to restart the computer if the driver requires it or if not properly installed.

There are many resons for this problem:

1. May be your hardware not compatible with Windows Vista. Please check compatibility issue.
    2. May be it requires updated driver files which you can download from concern sites.