Thread: Renaming files in Linux

Renaming files in Linux

Hello !

I am logging into a Linux system using ssh command and I need to change the name of Installed directory according to the given instruction of my staff.I don't the correct way to renaming it ..I can type dir command to see the directories but I am scared to loss the file . so please suggest me to do it in correct way.Thanks for your help.

Renaming files in Linux

Renaming files in Linux :

In the Linux operating system,you can rename the file with the help of movie command of Linux.You can rename any file in Linux using this command :

$ mv <Old_destination> <new_directory with new name>;

The mv command requires two arguments one is for source and second one is for destination.If you don't want to move the file to another destination,you can specify the same parameter for source and destination and associate the new name for file.

Renaming files in Linux using SHH

Renaming files in Linux

If you logged in with ssh command. It doesn't matter in which way you logged in the mv command didn't change the behavior of functionality.You can use mv command to change the name of installed directory.

You can frankly use any command which is related to file operation.Like you can move,rename,copy and delete the file according to granted permission by the owner of file or root user.Just associate the new name of file within the second parameter as a destination.

copying files in Linux operating system

Copying files in Linux :

Linux operating system provides a way in CUI mode.You can use the terminals to issue the commands in graphical mode also.The server mostly uses CUI mode to operate a lot of transactions.

The CUI mode,the user prompted first to login directly and use ls command to list all the files form your disk and choose one of them to cpoy somewhere.

The command below shows you,how to copy particular file from one destination to another.The command takes the following form :

$ cp file dir1

The above command show that the file is the name of file which will be copied and dir1 is name of destination where file would be paste.

Removing files in Linux

Removing files in Linux

As you created some files earlier in this way you can delete them also using proper command of deletion which is shown below:

$ rm <file_name>
    The rm command would be used to rename the file.You can add another option which will ask you about the confirmation in yes and no way.To use that option you need to keep -i between command and file name.

$ rm -i <file_name>

SSH command in Linux

SSH command in Linux :

The SSH is a program which is used to login into remote machine and after connecting with this command you can execute the different commands.It provides very secure communication between two hosts in a complex and insecure network.

SSH command requires the host name during connection.To execute this command,you need to put the arguments as the name of Host to which you wanted to be connect.

The syntax would be as follows with the name specified :

ssh [-l login_name ] hostname | user@hostname [command ]