Thread: Can i remove all Restore points except the latest

Can i remove all Restore points except the latest

I have a very short query and need some help from you all guys.. I am having a Windows Xp computer at my home. I have a habit of making restore points every time i make any major changes to my system. Doing so, i can now see many restore points on the system. Today i came to know that restore points also takes huge amount of hard disk space. So i wanted to delete all Restore points except the latest one i created. i request you guys to please guide me for the same. Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Can i remove all Restore points except the latest

If we go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools and then select System Restore, access a wizard that will allow us to restore the system to a previous point, as long as the tool is active. We usually have several restore points available to be automatically removed as they create new ones, the maximum space that can be used is 15% of the hard disk.

If we deactivate the tool, all restore points will be eliminated completely, ie to re-activate not have copies of the system until a new point is created. This can be useful to free hard disk space, but there is a more effective and comfortable.

Windows XP offers the ability to delete all restore points created, leaving only the most recent. This requires access to disk Cleanup. To do so, Right click on the letter of the hard drive than click on Properties than Disk Cleanup. OR you can also go to start menu, than Accessories than System Tools and select Disk Cleanup. In the Windows Disk Cleanup, select the More Options tab in the System Restore section and click on Unlock.

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Click Disc Cleanup. Now launch this utility and click More Options tab. Under which click System Restore and followed by that click Clean Up tab a message will popup -Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point? Click Yes then OK. Finally another message will popup-Are you sure you want to perform these actions? Click Yes.

Now, all the System Restore points except the most recent one are cleaned. As a result there will be more free space in hard disk. Source:Microsoft.

Here is the step by step process to delete restore points except the latest one:-

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then in the results list, click Disk Cleanup.

• If prompted, select the drive where you want to free up space, and then click OK.

• In the dialog box Disk Cleanup for (drive letter), click Clean System Files. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• If prompted, select the drive where you want to free up space, and then click OK.

• Click the More Options tab, under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Release.

• In the dialog box in Disk Cleanup, click Delete.

• Click Delete Files and then click OK.

If we go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools and then select System Restore, access a wizard that will allow us to restore the system to a previous point, as long as the tool is active. This procedure is similar to Windows XP, Vista and 7, finally remember that free space with this tool does not create problems or deleted files. Simply delete temporary files and items that are no longer needed.