Thread: What are .bom files in MAC

What are .bom files in MAC

Hi,
    What are this .bom files in a MAC OS X system. I had found that whenever I run a new software in it a number of .bom files are generated. I test a lot of software and games in my computer. Why I have chosen MAC because it is much more secure than Windows. But in some cases this also works bad. I had found that repairing files permission at some regular intervals helps out to make the system more stable.

Re: What are .bom files in MAC

Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on an operating system that uses standard UNIX permissions for the file system. All files and folders on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write or execute. It is recommend to run Repair its permissions once a week as part of routine maintenance a better habit to make your system more stable.

When you install software programs, utilities, etc. They are mostly settled for packet. Each time something is installed in this manner, a file is stored in the file received packet stored in Library / Receipts. If you look in this folder Receipts, you'll see several files ending with. Pkg, some were also created during installation of Mac OS X. You can remove them free up some space.

It is right this auto generated files take up little disk space and do not put them in the trash. Each of the files with .bom contains a list of files installed by the package and the corresponding appropriate permissions for each file. Files that are not installed by an Apple installer package are not listed in a receipt. For example, if you install an application that uses an application installer not Apple or if you copy from a disk image, network volume or another disk instead of installing it via the installer, no file has been created. This is normal. Some applications are designed to be installed this way.

Incorrect permissions can be caused by some installers or when a system problem and may cause unwanted behavior. They can also dramatically slow your computer and prevent the opening of a document or application. If you notice some anomalies in the functioning of your Mac OS X, it may well be because some permissions that need to repair your MAC system.

It is strongly recommended to repair permissions after you upgrade the system or installed new software. When you use software to repair permissions, verify and repair disk permissions, it will examine / repair each .bom files in Library / Receipts. In short, I suggest you fix from time to time your permission, especially if abnormalities in the functioning of Mac OS X or your applications appear! Indeed, like all users, you do regularly (even daily) updates or installing new software and as such permissions can be quickly altered.