Thread: BSOD & Safe Mode not working [NOT windows XP]

ohmy BSOD & Safe Mode not working [NOT windows XP]

Hi all,

So, my computer was working fine today. Installed updates & needed to reboot so I clicked "reboot now" - lo and behold all hell broke loose!

it shut down, and when restarted, gave me the "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E etc"

issue. So, I force-shut it down, pressed F8, and tried to go into safe mode. When I did this I got the following;

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system 32\DRIVERS\Mup.sys

So, I've googled them both, and received instructions to do the recovery console; but all the answers seem to be in relation to Windows XP, I'm not entirely sure which version of Windows I had, but I know it's not XP. Other problem is that we didn't buy the laptop first hand & so I have none of these installation disks anyway.

... anything else I can do? or do I just need to make a trip to the local computer repair shop tomorrow?

am terrified that everything will be lost... I'm in the process of writing my second novel, and haven't got the last two week's worth of work backed up.. ie it's all on the laptop. Please God someone will be able to help me out...

Re: BSOD & Safe Mode not working [NOT windows XP]

Make sure that you have sufficient hard disk space. The Stop error can be caused by insufficient hard disk space.If you can use safe mode or the Recovery Console to start the computer, delete any unnecessary temporary files, Internet cache files, program backup files, and files that contain saved file fragments from disk scans (.chk files). You can also install Windows XP on another hard disk that has more free space.If you cannot start the computer, go update the computer BIOS. Thanks.

Re: BSOD & Safe Mode not working [NOT windows XP]

Thanks for replying. I know that there's sufficient Hard Disk space; as it was only a few days ago that I was checking how much space i had left in general, and was pleasantly surprised.

Can't use safe mode as stated, and from what I've found; you have to have the Windows disk in order to start recovery console, which as I said, I don't have as I didn't purchase the computer new.

Not sure what the computer BIOS is, but I'll look into it; thanks for another idea