Thread: Working with mac terminal

Working with mac terminal

I am a newbie in Mac OS x. I like to use the features and the very easy interface it gives out. The issue is that I had found that the terminal of mac OS x is very powerful and it gives out advanced features. I will like to learn the same out. How to do that. I am not entirely friendly the terminal and do not want to touch without any basic knowledge.

Re: Working with mac terminal

Mac OS X is not immediately known for it’s imagine GUI. It is known for it’s influential underlying core OS, UNIX, and the Terminal is the way that you can right of entry the UNIX base. For you are a new switchers, the Terminal is corresponding to the Command Prompt in Windows, or the Command Line/Shell/Terminal in Linux. Numerous Mac users never even open Terminal, however these users are omitted out on some of the most powerful characteristics.

To open Terminal, navigate to your Applications folder, open Utilities, and double click on Terminal. You will be greeted with a message similar to this, Last login: Tue Mar 6 17:21:36 on console - welcome to username! and ibook:~ abc$. The last line you see is called the prompt. This will appear after every command you enter and this is where you type your commands.

The terminal of mac consists of your computer name, your present register or index, and your short username. When you first start Terminal, your present register or index will be “~”, which is short for your home directory (/Users/Your username). One of controls you will use the majority is ls. The ls control will show you the files and directories that are restricted in your current directory.

To be working with mac terminal, in this by typing ls and pressing enter, the terminal shows you all the files that are in my enormous directory. If you desire to see the comfortable of a directory in addition to the one you are in, just type ls followed by the directory. You are almost certainly wondering how to modify your current directory. This is done with the CD (change directory) control. Just type CD followed by the directory you desire to modify.
    Last edited by Calvin K; 10-02-2010 at 08:28 AM.

If you wish to or desire to get to a directory that is inside of your present directory, just type CD followed by the directory name, as there is no necessitate for a full path. To save time, the terminal has an auto complete characteristic (most command lines have this). To use it, press tab when typing a file or directory and Terminal will supposition what you are trying to type. Do not forget about ~. Entering CD ~ will get you back to your home directory. A last, and very useful CD tip is that CD, will navigate you to the directory above the one that you were in.