Thread: Recommended programs to run at startup

Recommended programs to run at startup

I am a Windows XP user. From last couple of days, it takes much time at startup. So decided to stop some of the programs that loads at the time of boot. But, i am not much pro about that and hence i dont know which programs to be stopped and which must run. I mean there are some recommended programs as well that cannot be stopped, right ? Could you guys please make me know how to sort programs to run at startup ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Recommended programs to run at startup

To differentiate the curriculum to keep and those to be removed from startup, you have multiple tracks. Firstly, the tray. Some of the programs loaded at startup appear in this bar. By spending a few seconds the mouse cursor on an icon you have more information about a program. If you do not use it, you can remove it from the start. On the other hand, some websites draw up a list of all programs that exist and specify their role.

The startup programs slow Windows startup and consumes memory in vain. It is therefore more interesting to remove all unnecessary programs that run at startup. To get the information you need, you will need before the name of the executable loaded at startup. This name appears in the Command column of the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility. The name of the executable is located at the right end of the full path. With this name, you can easily find what software is executable.

Dr. V Guest

The launch of some programs at startup is perfectly justified as firewalls, antivirus, download manager. Others however are not necessarily needed as the QuickStart Microsoft Office, agents Winamp, RealPlayer, Quicken, Money, or even software installed without your knowledge ... The programs run at startup are reported in two places: in the Start menu and in the registry. However, the System Configuration Utility gathers under the same interface information.

I can suggest you to disable everything except, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti spyware.

Thanks for your quick and valuable replies friends. I really appreciate it. I have one more little query about the same. Rather than stopping and blocking the useless programs every time, is there any way i can permanently delete the program execution on Startup ? If yes, please let me know soon. Thanks again.

Permanently delete the program execution on Startup

Yeah, you can definitely delete them permanently once you are sure you no longer need those programs. For this, we must first know where the program to permanently remove the startup. Here is how to do the same:-

1. Open the System Configuration Utility click the Startup tab. The Location column gives you the information. Common startup means that the program is in the Startup folder in the Start menu while starting locations HKLM / SOFTWARE / ..., Software / ..., HKLM / ... are references to the registry.
    2. To permanently delete the execution of a program in the Startup folder, click Start, click All Programs and then Startup.
    3. Then click the right button mouse on the shortcut to delete Windows Desktop Search for example then click Delete.
    4. For programs run from the registry, you must edit it with the registry editor. Then run regedit.
    5. Then open the key to the program to delete from column location in MSCONFIG
    6. Then click the right button mouse on the value of the program to remove the boot and then click the Delete command.
    7. Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer to apply the change. The programs you just deleted the shortcut or the value in the registry will no longer be executed at startup and no longer appear in MSCONFIG.