Thread: How to boot Linux over HTTP

How to boot Linux over HTTP

Hi all,

I am using Linux Fedora as a operating system in my PC. I heard that Linux PC is also boot over HTTP. I just want to know that how can I boot Linux over HTTP. Also suggest me what service or software we can use and also need steps. Please reply. Thanks in advance.

You need to internet connectivity and a small program called gpxe to boot the machine. This gpxe program offer network booting facility. netboot.me agree to you boot into the following distributions OS like Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu. netboot.me give gpxe images for USB sticks, CDs, and also for floppiest hat you can boot from a USB sticks, a CD, or a floppy. Check it and reply, if you want more info.

Re: How to boot Linux over HTTP

You need to go to netboot home page and download the suitable gpxe image. If you want to boot from a CD, just download the netbootme.iso file and burn it on a CD, after that boot from that CD. If you want to use a USB stick, the process is a bit more complex. You need to download the netbootme.usb file to your desktop. netboot.me works throughout the magic of netbooting. There are a number of methods to boot a computer with netboot.me. Check that and reply. Best of luck.

If you need to install image through USB, Follow the steps:
    # Plug your USB stick ,You will seen its icon should appear on the desktop as well.
    # Next open a terminal from Applications > Accessories > Terminal.
    # run the command in terminal to find out the device name of your USB stick:
    mount
    Before you can transfer the netbootme.usb image to the USB stick, you need unmount the USB stick. For this, Right-click its icon on the desktop and select Unmount Volume. Now you can transfer the netbootme.usb image to the USB stick as follows command and reboot the computer through USB stick.
    Code:
    sudo dd if=~/Desktop/netbootme.usb of=/dev/sdf

After all steps you also need to insert your netboot.me medium like USB stick, CD, floppy into the computer that you wish to boot from netboot.me, and confirm that the netboot.me medium is the first boot device in the computer's BIOS. To install a Linux distribution on the hard drive, go to installer and then Linux. You can seen that Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu . In my case, I select Ubuntu and select the Ubuntu version that I want to install. Check the steps and reply. Best of luck.