Thread: How to check folder list by ls command

How to check folder list by ls command

Hi,
    How to check out the list of folders and the files inside it by using the ls command. I need some working information on this. what are the different type of commands which I can use for the same. What are the more different type of command which I can use in the same manner. What are the more in the same and what output is derived out of it. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to check folder list by ls command

In a shell of the terminal for Mac OS X, list the contents of a file operation is a basic need to know control. If you do not know what the Terminal application, I invite you to read the article on the introduction to the Terminal. The command ls can navigate the system files to determine the content. When you type ls, you always get the listing of the current directory.

Open a shell and begin by seeing what you have in the folder of your account (symbolized in the Finder by an icon that represents a house) for that type into the shell as a result of the ls command prompt, then press the enter key to execute this command- $ Ls. You will also get a list of suggestion for the other ls commands in the same.

The result of ls is displays like a list of all folders and files in the root folder yourname, of course, it is possible that your home folder. I advise you to check the case sensitive issue when enter text on the command line. Although this is not always necessary, Unix is case sensitive, and / Applications is different to / applications.

The ls command has many options that affect the result returned. Like either on its content, either format, or is about sorting items in the list. Indeed, it is needed to display different information on the file system in context. You can ask many questions about your files, for example like what are the file sizes. what files and directories. when were they, etc.

When a directory contains many files, it is useful to display the results on several columns, we use option C. The command for the same is $ Ls-C. This mode default display of the result of ls in Mac OS X. Perhaps under other Unix or Linux, the basic behavior is different. If you can manage a list of commands for the same then that will be easy.