Thread: How to resize Windows Server 2008 partition

How to resize Windows Server 2008 partition

Hi all,

I am using Windows server 2008, I have 360 GB hard disk on that , My hardware man is partition that to 180 GB individual in two drives. Now i want to partition or re size this partition. Is it possible. Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Dr. V Guest

Windows Server 2008 users are talented to partition your hard disk via built-in disk management of Windows Server 2008 operating system, this partition management be different with Windows Server 2000 and Server 2003 which can simply be resized by using 3td party partition utilities. Windows Server 2008 enable you to expand volume, shrink volume, create partition, delete partition, format partition and modify drive letter for any partitions. Disk management of Server 2008 is stronger then Server 2000/2003. Try this and reply

Re: How to resize Windows Server 2008 partition

You can also use Extend Partition Server Edition. This Server Edition is a special intended to expand server partition. It's intended for system administrators and advanced users to direct both server and non-server disk partition to make best use of server performance. With its assist, user can without doubt perform an extending partition operation on Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 with 32 bit and 64 bit exclusive of data loss. Best of luck.

I also resize my hard disk partition before a day. To resize Windows Server 2008 partition with its inherent partition resizing efficacy. For this, you require logging in Windows as an Administrator and toward the inside into Command Line Prompt as administrator privilege, type "diskmgmt.msc" to open Disk Management Snap-in. A resizing windows server 2008 is to be attain by "Extend Volume" option and "Shrink Volume" option. Check this utility and reply. Best of luck.

To expand a partition on Windows Server 2008, you need to right click on the partition in the graphical view of the Disk Management screen and choose Extend Volume to call upon the Extend Volume Wizard. Click next on the welcome screen to regulate the new size of your selected partition. But noted down that on dynamic disk group, space might be owed from multi disks available on the system, but on a basic disk only space commencing the current disk are available. If you found Next button is disabled, this means that more space has been demand than is obtainable on the disk. Use this and reply.

If you want to shrink a partition on Windows Server 2008, You can go disk management and right click the volume to that needs to be resized and select Shrink Volume from the popup menu to appeal to the Shrink dialog. Then enter the amount by which the volume is to shrink, and click the Shrink button to begin the resize, this process may get a few seconds or may be few minutes and no required for reboot. Best of luck.

jim10 Guest

Windows Server 2008 Disk Management has ability to shrink volume and extend volume. But there is a huge disadvantage: "Extend Volume" is available unless there is continous space. Otherwise, you cannot extend volume.

Microgood Guest

Yes, this is correct, only when you can delete the data partition that behind the system partition to create unallocated space, extend feature of server 2008 disk management is useful. see this detailed info of shrink and extend server 2008 partition.

As this thread quiet for a while, I wonder if you have solved your problem. Assuming you have fixed, in case of who have the same problem. I think there is a better solution with step by step tutorial. I hope it will be helpful.

Resize Windows 2008 Partition with Snap-in Disk Management and Diskpart Command Line