Thread: How to remove gadgets and screen resolution from the desktop context menu in Windows 7?

How to remove gadgets and screen resolution from the desktop context menu in Windows 7?

Hello, I am having one problem with the long context menu of the Windows 7 that is very long and irritating. Can any one tel me How to remove gadgets and screen resolution from the desktop context menu in Windows 7? as i am unable to remove it from the same. Also let me know what to do if i want to add something to this context menu. A help may be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dr. V Guest

Re: How to remove gadgets and screen resolution from the desktop context menu in Windows 7?

This you can perform with the help of the Registry editor. Where all the entry have been made to show with the context menu. All you have to do is to get into the Registry Editor and then to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell" after that you will notice the display and gadget folder on the Right pane. Right click on the same and delete the same. That all i can help you. Thanks

Re: How to remove gadgets and screen resolution from the desktop context menu in Windows 7?

This is nice to see your immediate response regarding the problem we are getting but the thing is that i am new for the Windows 7 and having the not enough knowledge about it. So if you please explain me the complete method in detail then i will be able to make the above given changes and work with the problem of mine

Dr. V Guest

To get into the Registry Editor and work with the Following problem you have to follow the given step below which will be the best way to get rid of the long context menu of the Windows 7

1. Click on Start
    2. Click on Run
    3. Type regedit in Run Box
    4. On the Registry Editor Window navigate the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell"
    5. Now On Display Folder Right Click and delete
    6. Now On Gadget Folder Right Click and delete
    7. Save Setting and Exit the Registry Editor Window
    8. Restart the System.
    9. Thats it!!!!!!!!!!

If i am not wrong the i have followed the all the step carefully twice to work with the above problem but the problem is that whenever i am attempting to delete the folder it wont delete and give me the error that the folder can not be deleted. So now i am again blank so tel me how to do that. A help may be appreciated.

Dr. V Guest

Yes you can't delete the same as i have forgot to mention that you need to have the permission of the Administrator to delete the keys from the same. TO take the permission just right click on the Keys and the to the permission from the Context menu. You will be on the Permission for DeskTop background Window, on that click on the Advance button and then to the Owner tab click on the administrator and select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects and click on next button. On next window click on the same and the to the “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”. click apply and thats it.