Thread: Uninstall program not in repository in Ubuntu

Uninstall program not in repository in Ubuntu

I have recently upgraded my system to karmic from jaunty. I want to remove some of the programs which i don't use or they are not in the repository. I want the simplest way to remove these unused applications without going to each directory and deleting each stuffs. please help me in this matter. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Abbiey; 05-02-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Re: Uninstall program not in repository in Ubuntu

Have you tried something or not you have not specified this in your post. Also what commands have you used you can simply remove an unused program by using the following command which i have mentioned below. i hope that this will fix your issue. aptitude purge <the name of your of the application>

i don't know what is wrong with you and why can't you find the Add/Remove utility under the application. Simply go to the add/remove utility and find the program which you want to remove from the listed applications and then select remove applications this will help you to remove the application from the system.

Use the commands which i have listed below in order to remove the program which you are not using. You just have to write the command followed by the name of your application and then hit the enter key the command will get execeuted apt-get --purge remove "name of the application " without the double quotes

dpkg --purge ConvertIT

Dr. V Guest

In order to uninstall a software in the synaptics by finding the application which you want to remove. you just have to right click on it and then select remove if you find it difficult then try to open the terminal window and executr thr following command sudo aptitude remove {write the name of the software }

As far as i know open the Synaptic Package Manager and select the package manager within the system administration. This allows to do all piece of actions of the command line tool apt-get in a graphical environment including uninstallation or removing. use it hopefully you will resolve the issue.