Thread: How to stop SearchProtocolHost.exe from reading every file on HDD

How to stop SearchProtocolHost.exe from reading every file on HDD

My system is running with windows 7 operating system. Although i was not doing any thing on the laptop i saw that the hard drive light was blinking at high rate. Which led me to check the resource monitor of my system and to my surprise i saw that there were a large number of entries reading entire folders on my HDD. please tell me how to stop SearchProtocolHost.exe from reading every file on HDD?

Re: How to stop SearchProtocolHost.exe from reading every file on HDD

I think that your system is infected by a virus or a malicious program and hence you are getting this error. Because some of the viruses are built in such a way that they consume a lot of memory from the RAM and directly affect the system's performance. So scan your system thoroughly with it.

The SearchProtocolHost.exe is an essential part of the windows search service, Which runs autamatically whenever the system becomes free for few seconds' Although you can disable it from the task manager but i will recommend you not to disable this since it helps in increasing your system performance.

Most probably a virus is the culprit behind all such problems and hence i will suggets you to download the MBAM utility or the malwarebytes antimalware utility install this on your system and then scan the system thoroughly and delete all the viruses detected by malwarebytes antimalware utility.

Dr. V Guest

It seems as your systemfiles are corrupted and hence some unknown processes are running in the background so if you want to get rid of this error i would suggest you to restore the system to a date where it was stable. If this does not solve the issue then try to repair the system files using the recovery disc.

As far as i know the SearchProtocolHost.exe is not any kind of malware or virus it is a service of the operating system which always runs in the background whenever the system is left idle for some instances in order to index the file to make search somewhat faster. It is not advisable to stop this service.