Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How To Automatically Start VMWare Tools In Ubuntu

Operating Systems

Old 28-01-2010

Hi all,
I am installed VMWare tools in Ubuntu and as a guests running on VMWare hosts, i probably noticed that VMWare tools does not, by default start up automamtically during system restart, How can i automatically start VMWare tools in Ubuntu. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 28-01-2010
Dr. V

To start VMWare tools in ubunto, you have to run vmware-toolbox and manually at a command prompt. although this is good way of starting up VMWare tools, a improved way is to have it start up automatically on Unbuntu.I would also recommend starting VMWare toolbox at startup however it provides improved video performance, mouse synchronization with the host Operating ssytem. Check it out and reply if found any issue.

Last edited by Dr. V : 28-01-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 28-01-2010

Re: How To Automatically Start VMWare Tools In Ubuntu

To start VMWare tools automatically from ubuntu, you will need to add a start up script to ~/.kde/Autostart directory that is hidden, situated in your home directory.Logon to kubuntu and open a Terminal window by clicking on Kmenu \ Utilities \ Terminal from the panel. Next enter the following two commands:
Code:
echo "/usr/bin/vmware-toolbox  -minimize" > ~/.kde/Autostart/vmware-toolbox.sh
and press enter.
Then enter the following command:
Code:
chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/vmware-toolbox.sh
and press enter. Now the next time you restart, VMWare tools will start and minimize to the panel.
Old 28-01-2010

Re: How To Automatically Start VMWare Tools In Ubuntu

I have also GNOME operating system, Can anybody tell me how to start automatically VNWare tools in GNOME. Recently I was operational in a Virtual Machine that was running on VMWare Server and in some way activated Quick Switch mode. I couldn't keep in mind how to go back to Console mode. Can also help me.
Old 28-01-2010

If you want to to start VMWare tools from Gnome, logon and then click System \ Preferences \ Sessions from the panel. Then click on the New button and in the New Startup Program window, enter in the Name field, and
Code:
/usr/bin/vmware-toolbox  -minimize
in the Command: field. Click OK to save. And check its 100 % working.
Old 28-01-2010

To enter Quick Switch mode, press F11 or select View or Quick Switch from the menu. observe there is no sidebar, or menu and toolbar at the top of the screen. When you go into Quick Switch mode there are just tabs for the active VM's and Home at the top of the screen. To show the Menu and Toolbar, just go your mouse and touch the top of the screen and hold for a second. VMWare Server Console Menu and Toolbar will come into view giving you back complete control. just the once you move the mouse down past the toolbar, the tabs will come back. You can always press F11 to exit out of Quick Switch mode if wanted.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,