Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 27-01-2010

Information on avguard.exe, wercon.exe and lsm.exe processes

I was earlier using Windows XP Service Pack 2 operating system. Very recently I have upgraded my computer system to accommodate Windows Vista Operating System. I have upgraded my RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB and also I have added an Nvidia Geforce 1 GB video card. But only yesterday I realized that the anti virus was turned off. So I checked out the task bar and saw that the avguard.exe, wercon.exe and lsm.exe processes were consuming upto 70 percent of CPU. I am unaware of these processes also I fear that these might be virus or trojan processes as my anti virus was turned off.
Old 27-01-2010

wercon.exe is a System process

In general the wercon.exe is a process of Windows Vista. The process is used to report the application crashes and related issues to Microsoft. Thus this process is also identified as Windows Event Reporting. The process is a part of the System32 folder which is a Windows operating system folder. It is unlikely to be considered as a malicious program.
Old 27-01-2010

Anti virus Process avguard.exe

If you have installed the Avira Internet Security Suite then the process originates from this application. The avguard.exe is a process of the installed anti virus - Avira. This process scans the user machine for malicious contents and network threats. If you have not installed the Avira Internet Security Suite then this process can be a potential security threat that is disguising itself as a System process.
Old 27-01-2010

Re-install Windows Vist

The above mentioned processes are all legal processes of Windows Vista except for the avguard.exe which is a process of the Avira anti virus. I am also using Windows Vista and I have noticed the same processes in my task manager as well. But they hardly consume any usage of the processor. I would recommend you to re-install Windows Vista and see if the processes consumes still the same amount of processor usage.
Old 27-01-2010
Dr. V

Re: Information on avguard.exe, wercon.exe and lsm.exe processes

The Local Session Manager Service is identified as the lsm process in the task manager of Windows Vista. It is verified process of the Windows Vista by Microsoft. It keeps account and monitors the connectivity of the terminal server. It is recommended to not at all Select End Process as it is a very important process of Windows that is essential to run Windows in a stable manner.
Old 27-01-2010

Re: Information on avguard.exe, wercon.exe and lsm.exe processes

wercon.exe is a legitimate process introduced in Windows Vista. The main functionality of this Windows process is to track the Error Reporting subsystem of Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. This process if consuming more processor resources then it is to be downloading solutions or reporting a crash report to Microsoft. It is a very vital process of Windows Vista.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , , , ,