Thread: How to format a new hard drive with FDISK

How to format a new hard drive with FDISK

Hi
    I have computer with 80GB hard disk. I want to add up a new 80GB hard disk to it. But the hard drive has some issue by which you cannot format it with Windows disc. So I am going to use a different option of using FDISK. But I am not sure in this topic. I need some solutions for formatting a computer the hard drive by using FDISK. How to do that and what is needed for the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to format a new hard drive with FDISK

FDISK utility is on the CD Rom Windows. It works in DOS mode but it may fit well for a partitioned drive. It has a disadvantage compared to Partition Magic. The application cannot create partition in system protected disc. Partition Magic allows you to partition hard drives with existing data without erasing them. It will therefore each time the disc format. So in some case partition magic is further powerful.

First you must install your hard drive. Plug it into your IDE port. You must set the jumper on the back of the HDD Master or Slave. Attention to a IDE (ribbon) you can only have two devices. I advise you to put on IDE port 1 your hard disks and IDE port 2 your CD Rom drives and recorders. For the jumper see the manual of your motherboard. it is necessary that you must provide proper jumper settings.

Once your hard drive connected, it will have to boot your computer and check the bios. It is accessed by pressing DEL or F1 while booting. That it is in auto for recognizing IDE devices. Then the passage set your boot on the disk. Be sure to insert a boot floppy in the drive. Once the computer has started on the disk you are prompt A: \>, then you only need to type fdisk to launch the application. Now you can use this to format your hard drive.

Inser the FDisk in the floppy drive and press Y for the first question it ask for. Select the disk properly. Once in fdisk, select the drive you want to partition which will probably drive the No. 2. Then the formatting will begin and your hard drive will be formatted. The first step is to create a primary partition. This option 1. Fdisk will ask you if you want to use all available space. I answer no and enter the desired size in MB (2 GB = 2000 MB).

First you have to create the main partition properly. That is by giving the proper location for formatting. Like FDISK C:. Once the main partiton you created remains space on your disk to create more partitions. Always start by creating a primary partition. (Incidentally, if you want to install Windows on that partition is that it will happen.) Then if you want to make other partitions, then create an "Extended DOS Partition" on the remaining space. In this extended dos partition, create as many logical drives as desired partitions. Remember to specify size.