Thread: Command prompt not functioning in Windows Xp

Command prompt not functioning in Windows Xp

Hello! I have Windows Xp installed as the operating system on my Desktop machine. The thing is that I am not able to get access to the Command prompt Window. Whenever I try to get access to the same It closes down and is then not able to get executed. Why is this happening? I am not able to use it. Please help me out. Thank you.

Re: Command prompt not functioning in Windows Xp

This could be that the issue is due to the accessibility been restricted by the administrator. All you need to do is to get access to the admin account and then make the necessary ailments to be fulfilled. You may need the password to get access to the same. Try to login using the admin account and make the changes that is been required in order to get the command prompt to be enabled.

If you do not remember the password or you are not able to get access to the admin account then you need to create an account that would be admin. All you need to do is to click on the start button. Then open the control panel option. Now execute the User account option. After it is been done you need to assign the required fields by clicking on create new account. Then click on manage account. Then choose type of account. That is admin account. After that click on create account. Now restart the system and then login using the new admin account.

You need to activate the automatic completion in order to get the thing to work for you. You need to follow the procedure as follows:

1) Open the regedit option by typing the same in run command.
    2) After that try to navigate through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor key.
    3) You would get a command processor key. Click on it.
    4) Now double click on the CompletionChar value for folder name completion. Also you need to type 0X4 and it should be in hexadecimal form.
    5) Double click the PathCompletionChar value for filr name completion. Now type Type in 0×6 and it should be too in hexadecimal form.
    6) Close the regedit.

Well there are certain keys through which you can enable and disable the command session. You can try out by implementing the following key in order to get access to the command prompt option. It could be that the the feature is been disabled. So look out for the keys that is:
    * cmd /y tries to disables the command extensions for this cmd session.
    * cmd /x tries to enable the command extensions for this cmd session.

Check out if there is any virus issue related to the system. It may be the reason that you are notable to get access to the command prompt. You need to run an antivirus scan check wizard which would make your system to be virus free and thus if any such cases been appended to it may be resolved then and there. Use a good powerful antivirus tool for the same.