Thread: Bash script for internet connection in Ubuntu

Bash script for internet connection in Ubuntu

I am using a huawei e169g internet key for connecting to the internet on my home PC which is installed with windows 7. Now i want to use this internet key for connecting to the internet but on my Office PC which is installed with Ubuntu Operating system. I have a bash script with which i can connect to the internet but it is not working. Hence I am desperately in need of a Bash script for connecting to the internet.
    Last edited by Callium; 23-01-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Re: Bash script for internet connection in Ubuntu

You have niot specified whether you are going to connect to the internet manually. Please specify that you just require turning on the network interface Or is something more involved in order to get the connection working. Also you have not specified that you are using the networkmanager or not. please furnish all these details in your further replies.

I think that you can try to achieve this by sudo ifup wlan . Check whether it works from the terminal. In the command above replace the wlan with the name of your network device. You can also verify all the network devices using the "ifconfig" command. Using this command you can definitely get connected to the internet.

Thanks for replying me. It seems as none of your solution worked for me so i triwed the comands but that could not help me to solve this issue also i am not able to connect to the internet using the network manager too. please suggest some other solutions in this matter also if possible try to provide a bash script which would help me to check the Internet connection availability.

For connecting to the internet with the help of an internet key you will have to use the code which i have mentioned below:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Use this code and get connected to the internet using your huawei internet key. Hopefully this will fix your issue soon if this does not help you try using the networkmanager
    Last edited by Humberto; 23-01-2010 at 05:36 PM.

As you have asked for a bash script which will help you to check whether your internet connection is working or not i have posted the script for that purpose below

#!/bin/bash

WGET="/usr/bin/wget"

$WGET -q --tries=10 --timeout=10 http://www.google.com -O /tmp/index.google &> /dev/null
    if [ ! -s /tmp/index.google ];then
    echo "no"
    else
    echo "yes"
    fi

this script will return "yes " if the google pagge is downloaded else it will return ''no'' . Also if it fails to open a page within 10 seconds it will again return a "no"