Thread: Window 7 error : setup cannot open the registry key

Window 7 error : setup cannot open the registry key

Hi,

I have using windows 7 with 64 bit. I am getting error message, Error 1402 : setup cannot open the registry key and Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance, When I am try to install Office 2007. I am the only user and administrator on my pc than why I am getting this error ???

Re: Window 7 error : setup cannot open the registry key

You may download and run the Fixit tool from Microsoft to resolve this issue. This problem may occur if the user installing the program, or the user who is opening the program or file does not have sufficient right to modify the registry hives it takes to perform the action. The permission for the Everyone group from the registry sub-key described in the error message is not set to Full Control. There is a third party application on the system that denies the required access to the registry subkey. In most cases, this behavior is caused by WebRoot Spysweeper.

Try the following step, to resolve the registry error 1402 :
    1. Go to Start -> Run -> regedit
    2. Go to the key that was creating problems (which may be specified in the error log file of the software)
    3. Go to Edit -> Permissions
    4. Add your user name in the box and select permissions to allow everyone to give yourself permissions altogether.

Some activation problems indicate that corrupted the license file. If it is corrupted the license file, you can not resolve the problem by removing and reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. In addition, the license file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass the validation of Office Genuine Advantage.

Disable the third-party application. For example, to disable WebRoot Spysweeper, follow these steps:

1) right WebRoot Spysweeper icon that is in the notification area on the far right of the taskbar.
    2) Left-click the Shut Down option.
    3) The installation of Office 1406 Error dialog box, click Retry.
    4) When complete the Office installation, restart the computer, and then re-enable WebRoot Spysweeper.

Try to remove corrupted registry files with CCleaner, it is a very good and fast program for your PC to clean them. With CCleaner you temporary files, user traces, cookies and internet traces (including browsing history, typed addresses and automatically filled words) of Internet Explorer, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox / SeaMonkey clean. Then restart the pc and continue with your office installation.

question Re: Window 7 error : setup cannot open the registry key

Hi,

I am also finding that my MSI Studio transfer of a legacy 32 bit exec. achieves all the program files (x86) file installations and the sys32 .ocx transfers but fails to transfer registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE keys dsepite applying ELEVATED permission status to the MSI.

The installer works fine in XP and I am attempting to upgrade my program source code and installation to run on a Widows 7 machine.

This machine installs other purchased packages without problem so I am assuming that I am ignorant of soime installation requirement ?

Suggestions would be very welcome !

Thanks