Thread: Usb configuration in Linux

Usb configuration in Linux

Hi,
    My laptop is not detecting the usb drive. I have a laptop running on Ubuntu. The linux system works better for other thing. But when I connect my usb device the same is not working properly. I think the same is disabled in the system. How to configure basic usb in Linux. I need some steps and suggestion on it if any.

Re: Usb configuration in Linux

For Usb configuration in Linux you need a late description or version of kernel. Kernel description 2.2.7 and later include the USB code. You should, in an ultimate world, if you are running the current 2.4.0-test kernel, preferably with any pre-patches for the next kernel. The current 2.2.x kernels do include some USB code, but it is less well supported, and improvement in patchy.

Re: Configure USB into your kernel

I the beginning USB code is in moderately expansion, so the changes between each description (and the bugs) tend to change moderately fast. Support on the mailing list for anything except the latest description is scant at best. You need to configure USB into your kernel. Use of make menu config is not compulsory.

In your linux supported system under USB protect, you need to select protect for USB. You also need to select either UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA.) protect, UHCI interchange Driver (JE) protect or OHCI-HCD (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi) protect. Which one you select is reliant on what kind of motherboard or adapter which one you have.

Intel and Via motherboards, and Via-based adapters are UHCI, and you can also use supplementary over of the two UHCI drivers - there seems to be little user perceptible dissimilarity between them. Ali and SiS chipsets, Compaq and NEC motherboards, iMacs and any adapter using Opti chips (just about all of them) are OHCI, and you be supposed to use OHCI-HCD.

If you are not knowing what kind of regulator to select, check your motherboard certification. You can also look at /proc/pci for a hint - if the USB entrance is of the form 0xHHHH, where HHHH are hex digits (e.g. something like I/O at 0xe400), then it is UHCI. If it is of the form 32 bit memory at 0xHH000000, where HH are hex digits (e.g. something like 32 bit memory at 0xee000000), then it is OHCI. Failing that, just try both for the Usb configuration in Linux.