Thread: Not able to set the file type permanently in Windows 7

Not able to set the file type permanently in Windows 7

Hi. I have a desktop machine with Windows 7 installed as the operating system in it. The problem is that there are certain files in the system that I need to set the extension or executable form for the software to use it. That is supposingly I have a mp3 file so it do not show up any media player icon so that i can execute directly. I get the option as open with. What to do? Please help.

Re: Not able to set the file type permanently in Windows 7

You have to check out for the windows manager that is when you double click on the file it shows a window that would ask you for the program that you want to execute. Select the program from the list and then there would be a check box which says always use this program to execute. Check on it and then make the necessary changes. This should help you out.

A virus may have affected the system that is the reason it shows such weird signs. You need to check out for the same. Scan the system completely and then look out for the virus that may be affecting the files and folder. This is the reason its happening that way. I have experienced the same. So do check out the same. It may lead you to the conclusion.

To check out whether its the problem associated with the operating system you need to install the compatibility tools for Vista and Xp. Using the same try to run the system under the compatible mode and then try to check for the files that you want to set to. It may result you to know the problem is associated with what. So do the necessary actions.

Check out for using the administrator account and then look out by changing the extension or setting the same for the specified program. This should make you to work as you wanted to. It is quite possible that the user account that you are using may have some restrictions due to which it is unable to set the extension permanently. So execute the process using admin account. This should help out.

Run a clean boot for the system. This shall enable you to make the things to work well. Follow the steps:

1) Open the start menu and type msconfig in search box.
    2) Now under selective startup hide all Microsoft services.
    3) Disable the services.
    4) Reboot the system.