Thread: How to recover root password linux

How to recover root password linux

Hi,
    I am not so expert on linux based operating system. The first thing I want to know is that how to recover the root password in it. If a use by accidentally forgets it the what are the possibilities to get it. Second things how can I add a partition to an existing directory. And the last thing I want to know how to run commands as root logged in as normal user.

Re: How to recover root password linux

There are several methods (including SUID), but I will mention here that the method sudo. Run the visudo command which will actually launch your favorite editor to edit the file / etc / sudo. You can then add the line: nom_utilisateur ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL. The specified user can now execute commands reserved for root by typing: $ sudo command. The parameter "NOPASSWD" tells sudo it should request the password of the user before running the command.

It is not possible to recover the root password. But you can change this password if you have physical access to the computer. You must first find a way to access a console (using a live CD distribution like Knoppix, boot cd install linux, etc.). Then mount the root partition of your linux in a directory: # mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt. Run the commands: # cd /mnt # chroot /mnt. It'll just change the password: # password root. Now you can restart linux and use your new password for root.

The problem is simple: no LVM and distribution increasingly tight, no way to resize the partitions so it creates another (on another disk or there's the place for example) and copy it to a large partition that takes up space as / usr. It starts in single mode init s. Creating a filesystem on the new partition + directory to copy the contents mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdxx mkdir -p /mnt/new_usr.

We mount the new partition and it copies the data on the new partition mount /dev/hdxx /mnt/new_usr cp -arf /usr/* /mnt/new_usr/. Adds good online fstab echo "/dev/hdxx /usr ext3 defaults 1 1" >> /etc/fstab. It removes what has been copied: attention better wait until you have verified that it works before making this manip 'delicate quque either partition rm -rf /usr/*.

The above process dismantles the partition that was created for the sole purpose of copying / usr (or our directory you climb that we just copy it and delete the directory / mnt created for the occasion umount /mnt/new_usr mount /usr rmdir /mnt/new_usr. It can restart the system or by a reboot or putting the usual runlevel reboot ( ou init X )