Thread: Managing Installation of ubuntu on windows Xp and vice versa

Managing Installation of ubuntu on windows Xp and vice versa

I am using Ubuntu Operating System .Now I want to install windows XP OS to remove Ubuntu on my PC.I tried several times to install windows XP but when i put the XP boot disk into CD-ROM, there is no blue screen coming and setup is not starting please give me the solution for it.I wanted to install Ubuntu and XP was already running on that,while I was installing Ubuntu and as just I inserted the boot disk of Linux my windows has been corrupted please give the solution .

Re: Managing Installation of ubuntu on windows Xp and vice versa

Before installing the XP on the machine where Linux was running already,you have to manually delete the partitions used by Linux because windows doesn't detect the partition of Linux.

The Linux basically supports two partition type 83 or 82 . Linux boot manager is configured through the MBR (Master boot record) and root partition of the Linux.

To remove the root,boot and swap partitions :

- Start your computer after inserting the Linux setup floppy disk and type fdisk command in the terminal and then press ENTER key.
    - And type P to show your partitions.
    - Type D to delete the partitions and type the sequence number of partition.
    - Type W with enter key to write the information to the partition table
    - In the last , type Q to exit from fdisk tool

Insert the boot disk of Windows XP and press CTRL+ALT+DEL key, your XP setup will start after some moments.
    Last edited by Calvin K; 16-01-2010 at 10:54 AM.

To make your system Dual boot on which Windows XP is already installed.
    Ubuntu is able to identify the NTFS partition,locate the partition for Ubuntu
    and you need a boot disk of Ubuntu ,insert it into XP machine and select "Install Ubuntu". After that you will be prompted for some questions regarding Language,location and Keyboard layout.
    And at next page you need to configure your disk partition means where it would be installed. Ubuntu will re-size the whole partition and will show a bar of space, using slider you can adjust the space for both Operating systems. Go forward and write changes to the disk and continue.
    The Next wizard will ask you about user information,documents and settings.
    when you will go forward, installation process would start.
    After installation computer will reboot and GRUB menu will display you a option "Other Operating systems", its for windows XP and other menus are tagged there for Ubuntu.

Problem of Windows Corruption

You were ready to install the Ubuntu and your windows has been corrupted. It should not be happen Because Ubuntu easily accepts the NTFS partition and space adjustment facility. I think your windows was running on FAT partition and I will suggest you to install the Windows again and create the partition as NTFS and after that you can easily install the Ubuntu.