Thread: Bootcamp takes long time to boot Windows

Bootcamp takes long time to boot Windows

I have Macbook Air which I am using in a dual boot mode. I have Mac OS X Tiger and Windows 7 running on the Macbook Air. I use Bootcamp to run the Windows Operating system on the Macbook Air. The Problem I am facing is whenever the system is booted with Windows operating system, the system takes long time to boot i.e the Bootcamp takes long time to boot the Windows Operating system. If any of you people are facing the same problem while using Bootcamp and Windows installation then please share some information.

Re: Bootcamp takes long time to boot Windows

As you have a dual boot configured on your Macbook Air, It will take some time to select the Windows Installation. In dual boot system, the user has to manually select the operating system in which the computer has to be booted which takes about 40 seconds which makes the booting procedure slow. You can make the Windows installation as the default operating system of your Macbool Air and then see if it the system takes long time to boot. I dont think that the system will not take long time to boot the operating system.

Windows 7 usually takes longer time to boot in any of the computer. Window 7 requires lot of components to be loaded before the actual operating system is loaded. This components which are loaded before the operating system boots, take time depending on the processing power of the computer. Hence the booting process is slow for Windows 7. Also you are using a dual boot system it will take much longer time as the operating system needs to be selected. Hence it is absolutely normal.

I think the Windows Installation you are using is not properly installed and is creating problems with the booting of the computer. Many times it happens that the operating system does not work properly if some of the components are not installed properly on the computer. If you have the installation DVD of Windows 7, then insert it in the drive and keep the booting order as DVD DRIVE and then Hard disk Drive. Now press any key to the from the DVD. Now the Windows Installer will load. Now select the Repair Windows Installation Option from the Menu and then follow the onscreen procedure. Once the Windows Installation is repaired it will not take much time to boot.

Have you done PRAM and SMC reset after installing Windows 7? It is necessary to do the PRAM and SMC reset after making the system dual boot. This is because there are many entries in the RAM which are invalid according to the Windows Operating system, hence it is necessary to delete these entries from the RAM. To perform the PRAM reset, First find and locate the following keys (Apple, Option, R and P). Press and hold these keys while starting the computer. Keep these keys pressed till 3 startup chimes are heard. Once 3rd startup chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.
    To perform a SMC reset, Disconnect the laptop from all the power sources. Remove the battery and then press Power button of the Laptop for 5 seconds. Then let the computer rest for a minute and then replace the battery and start the computer. Hopefully the computer will not take longer time to boot after SMC and PRAM Reset.

The delay which you are facing while booting of the Windows installation is normal phenomenon which is faced by all the Mac users who use Bootcamp to run Windows. Windows operating system needs to access the system BIOS before loading the operating system. MAC system does not have BIOS and hence the emulation is required. The Emulation of Mac EFI for the Windows version takes time and hence the system takes longer time to boot. There is no way in which the emulation can be shortened. The time taken by the emulation depends on the processing speed of the computer. Higher the processing power, lower is the time required.

Setting the Bootcamp partition as the default partition will make the Windows as the Default operating system of the Macbook and hence the system will not wait for the user to select the operating system from the options and hence will reduce the booting time. I was facing the same problem with Windows 7 on my Macbook. I made the Windows Partition as the default partition of the system which reduced about 40 seconds from the booting time. Try it and tell me if it works.