Thread: How to open Prefetch files on Windows XP

How to open Prefetch files on Windows XP

Hi all,

I am using Windows XP on my PC. In windows , there is a Prefetch files which are temporary files containing information about application programs and helps in quicker loading of programs. I want to open Prefetch files , but no idea how is open with. Can any body help me. Thanks in advance.

You need to click on Start and then click Run button on windows XP. Then type prefetch and click OK button to open prefetch folder. It will open the Prefetch files. You can view prefetch files on Windows and also delete them without causing any issue to Windows. Check it out that and reply.

You can check WinPrefetchView utility to view contents of prefetch folder in more organized manner. You need to download WinPrefetchView, unzip and double click to launch the utility. Then it will load all prefetch file information in the utility window. You can also select each or all files and then click delete button to remove them. You can also save the prefetch file information by File > Save, Selected Items.

Prefetch 1.0 is this free utility assists in managing Windows XP Prefetch. It also known as Prefetcher in Windows XP, It is used to boost up the startup performance of windows XP. Actually the prefetch folder is a subfolder of the Windows system folder. It is self-maintaining, and there's no need to delete it or empty its contents. If you empty the folder, Windows and your programs will take longer to open the next time you turn on your computer.

Re: How to open Prefetch files on Windows XP

You will need to be logged into an account with administrative privileges to perform to open the Prefatch folders and files. If you are log in as user, it does not open the prefetch folder. Prefetch helps next time when you turn on your computer, Windows refers to these files to help speed the start process. If you found more information about this please reply.

Some time, many viruses and IRC bots like to hide out in Prefetch, then you need to sacn your computer to the antivirus. after that, You need to go my computer and click on open local disk and open the Windows folder. You will locate the Prefetch folder on it and double-click it to open it. then you will see the file sand contents. If you find any issue ,please reply.