Thread: Is Windows 7 Toolkit a Malware

Is Windows 7 Toolkit a Malware

Okay now this is a very strange thing which happened with me two days back.
    I was doing my office work at home on my Computer and suddenly and pop up came from Kaspersky Internet Security Suite saying "An unwanted application
    was going to be executed", and that applications was Windows 7 toolkit 1.8.
    Now I am very new to this operating system and not aware of any application named toolkit. So I clicked on OK and allowed it to get executed.
    And after that I got another pop up from KIS with that same error message that an unwanted application was going to run and this time the application was WinCris SFC.
    Then I checked the Task Manager and there was no operation named Toolkit 1.8 which was running.
    Does any one have any idea if this Windows 7 Tookit is a malware or something.
    Please help, I got many confidential information of my office stored on this system.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Is Windows 7 Toolkit a Malware

Hey now this sounds fishy. At first place you shouldn't have allowed that application to get executed, as you were not aware of any such application. You should always keep in mind that no matter what, never ever run any application or software which you don't know or which is not installed by you on the system.
    And as you said that you got another pop up saying WinChris SFC this looks like there is some malware on your system which is doing this. So the first thing to do is "Don't access Internet" and disconnect your modem/router from the system if have it connected.
    And search for a Malware Removal Software which will help to detect and remove it.

Okay now I am seriously scared. I have disconnected my computer from Internet access. I unplugged the Router which I use to connect to Internet. I have also deleted all the important information after taking a backup of it on an external HDD.
    Now you said to get a Malware Removal Tool, so I guess that will be from Internet only rite.?
    So if I have disconnected my internet connection then how can I get the software on my system.?
    I cannot download it in office and then take it home, because I tried with one and it said that it has to update before scanning the system. And for update it needs Internet.
    So what do I do.?

Well yes that's right, you will need internet to update the software.
    As you said that you have deleted all the important data from the system and have got a backup on external then I guess (I am not sure) it will be okay if we connect to internet just to update the software and then disconnect Internet and scan your system.
    So if you are going to try this then, get that software downloaded on your office system and then get it home, install it on your personal computer and then when it will ask for update at that time connect your router and update that tool and make sure that you don't access any other site or don't do any other activity on internet at that time.
    Once the update is done then disconnect the router and scan your system.
    This should work.