Thread: Hyper-V standalone vs. Win svr 2K8 R2 role

Hyper-V standalone vs. Win svr 2K8 R2 role

Hi,

This might be a very very very stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways...
    I'm trying to work me into virtualisation because everyone is talking about it and people are telling me that our company is getting behind. So what I'm gonna do, is to start working with hyper-v in our new network. Dell is helping me with the servers, but what I'm trying to figure out, is what kind of structure I can use best: hyper-v as standalone (and install server 2k8 as guest + 2x Linux) or just svr 2k8 as os and use the hyper-v role to get the 2 linux's virtualised.

Also, can I install Debian 5.0 as guests?

Again: I'm not quite into this, so please don't kill me on this one

Dr. V Guest

Re: Hyper-V standalone vs. Win svr 2K8 R2 role

From the VMWare GUI console select the "VM" menu option and then "Install VMWare Tools". This only gets the disk image ready to be mounted as a CD-ROM so you have to do everything else manually. Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an operating system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name GNU/Linux. Firstly, virtual machines must be isolated from one another, it is not acceptable for the execution of one to adversely affect the performance of another.There are LOTS of ways to install Debian. The normal would probably be downloading the full 700MB CD and installing everything at once. For this guide, we’re going to do things a little differently and install from a minimal boot CD and download all the packages as needed.

Thanks for your reply!

But It's not really what I'm looking for...
    I've been working with Debian for a long time now (it's virtualization I'm not yet into ) but I need some info on Virtualization.

You are talking about VMware, do you need this for hyper-V?
    I thought it was an alternative for hyper-V?

Hyper-V is being distributed in a free stand-alone package and as a role in Win Svr 08 (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm planning to use one svr 08 R2 and 2 Debians.
    When I take hyper-V as a role, will there be a an option to use svr08 as a VM or do I need to buy an extra license?
    Does it even matter if I use one OS (svr08) as a VM or just as the main OS?

I could be making fundamental mistakes so please spare me

Quote Originally Posted by syssin View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

But It's not really what I'm looking for...
    I've been working with Debian for a long time now (it's virtualization I'm not yet into ) but I need some info on Virtualization.

You are talking about VMware, do you need this for hyper-V?
    I thought it was an alternative for hyper-V?

Hyper-V is being distributed in a free stand-alone package and as a role in Win Svr 08 (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm planning to use one svr 08 R2 and 2 Debians.
    When I take hyper-V as a role, will there be a an option to use svr08 as a VM or do I need to buy an extra license?

I could be making fundamental mistakes so please spare me
    Yes, Hyper-V is a free package with Windows 2k8 R2 server. Its similar to VMWare. The only difference is that on Hyper-V you can use the hardware to its full potential and use a 64-bit OS with it...

Thanks!

And is this correct:

Hyper-V, the Microsoft hypervisor-based server virtualization technology have a flexible licensing policies, it's now easier than ever to take advantage of the cost savings of virtualization through Windows Server 2008 R2. Customers should use Windows Server 2008 R2 to get application fail over capabilities or flexible and cost-effective virtualization rights (one free virtual instance for Standard Edition, four free virtual instances for Enterprise Editions, and unlimited virtual instances for Datacenter Edition with the purchase of a license of Windows Server 2008), and flexible and cost-effective virtualization rights.