Thread: Blocking 9.04 - Error loading theme HumanFeisty

Blocking 9.04 - Error loading theme HumanFeisty

Hello,
    I'm stuck for several weeks with a PC Ubuntu 9.04 - 64bit
    For more details and take it all in order, the first error message appeared after an automatic update in early December:
    - An error occurred when loading the theme HumanFeisty
    Unable to load format image file "/ usr / share / gdm / themes / Human / background.png"
    - Ubuntu is my intention to start in another format. I did not notice this part but this plant details on file /. xsession-errors.
    * / Etc / gdm / Xsession: Beginning session setup. ID setting though in-switch for locale-en_GB.
    Start IM through / etc/X11/xinit_d/all_ALL linked to / ECF in dbus_launch reading address from bus daemon

I tried several things (after looking on the forums):
    - Boot in recovery mode: launch a check of the hard drive, it took a while, stopped abruptly (over battery ...)
    - Recovery from a CD, the PC is left to run for several days, after correcting errors, he has held lines of code.

Can you help me? My main concern is to recover some data on the disk.
    my / home is not on a separate partition (which incidentally is not the default for Ubuntu, what is the best choice?)
    Last edited by GlassFish; 07-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Re: Blocking 9.04 - Error loading theme HumanFeisty

Hi
    Even I have the same kind of problem. In addition launching Ubuntu, here is the error message
    / dev/sda1: Unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually
    fsck died with exit status 4
    checking drive / dev/sda1: 6% (stage 1 / 5, 99/1147)
    [fail]
    1) An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted. The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
    2) The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system.
    Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue):
    I entered my password (apparently accepted it because when I take the chance, this indicates incorrect login)
    I hope some will help me.

Hello
    As you said
    / dev/sda1: Unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually
    Use a LiveCD and run fsck from a terminal of the LiveCD:
    Code:
    sudo fsck / dev/sda1
    Check what is the output of the following command. It should scan your hard disk, I think this should be easy for you and successful.

Hello,
    Wanting to start a livecd, I actually started a new normal session. A "checking drives" was launched and went up to 50% but is now shut down since 6 hours ... should I wait?
    50% stage 1 / 5 830/1147
    Please help me with this.

Hi
    Not good, the disc seems achieved. It is useless to wait longer, I'm surprised that fsck is not released in error.
    From the livecd of 9.04 is possible to do a test (SMART) hard disk if it is not too old it could get a hardware diagnostics.
    Look in the menu "System / Administration / Disk Utility"

Hi
    I tried unsuccessfully to start the livecd in safe graphics mode ...
    Error messages are displayed. I got to the final text on a line ubuntu @ ubuntu: ~ $ ubuntu @ localhost or for several minutes before blocking again error messages. What can I do about this?
    My goal is to recover some files and my email (I have a backup, but will lose approximately 1 month), is there a hope of recovering anything? or should I give up, format the hard drive and try a new installation and therefore consider that my files were lost? I begin to accumulate hours on this problem. Thank you for the help