Thread: Problem recovering important data

Problem recovering important data

Hello,
    I wanted to reinstall windows xp on my hard drive that contains two partitions. A system (it already contains Windows XP) and I use only for my backups. During installation I deleted the two partitions to create one by mistake. I have not done formatting. I realized the error in both. Both partitions are NTFS. The problem is that the scores have important data that I would like to recover. I do not know if he can do and how precisely. Other information: The hard drive is recognized in the bios. Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Logan 2; 06-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Re: Problem recovering important data

Hello
    Yes, it is possible to recover the original partitioning and retrieving data, if nothing (or very little) has been written to disk. There are very good chances to recover any partition. These databases must be sufficiently "far", so that should be so lucky to have been crushed too.
    Then, how (apart with sfdisk ...:-/ Linux): it seems that test disk know well do that.

Hello
    I forgot to say that after the abolition of the two partitions I created a single partition C but without formatting. I immediately shut down the computer by pressing F3. But this did not work for me. I do not know this procedure is correct or not but still I tried ir , unfortunately I did not succeed. Do you have any more ideas about this. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
    Yes, it is no big problem , even if it had been "a little" formatted. It will propose the possible partitioning it has found. If the disk was partitioned several times it can detect multiple partitions "candidates" and offer them to you all. Having chosen and validated, it is best to check before going further in the install. So a Linux live CD can be quite useful: for at least a start has to check before installing XP. (a bootable floppy can not read ntfs I think, but if linux, I have not idea)

Hello,
    You put testdisk on a bootable floppy and after, good luck because it is not very friendly. Otherwise known recovering recreating the partitions. But to know exactly or begins or ends and physically partition. I think before doing the particle thing you should once read the information or documentation regarding the partitioning of the system and about the system file. If you have any more problem them do post back.

Hello,
    One problem I just discovered. Connector on the hard disk, there is a pin that is returned but not sheared. I got to come out with pliers. But I do not know if it makes contact inside but I'll remove the controller card that is located behind the hard drive. I fear that when I push the water into the connector does not fit the pin again. In fact is there a problem to remove the card and solder where? Any help will be appreciated.