Thread: Desktop icons disappeared in windows 7

Desktop icons disappeared in windows 7

Hi friends i am trapped in a critical condition with my system i have a compaq presario c700 laptop and i have recently migrate from the windows Vista to Windows 7 and to my surprise i recently discovered that all my desktop icons have been disappeared after i booted yesterday. Could anybody help me in restoring the disappeared desktop icons in windows 7. Please help me as soon as possible?

Dr. V Guest

Re: Desktop icons disappeared in windows 7

I guess that you have booted three to four times before posting this question because sometimes the booting it happens in windows 7 that the desktop icons disappear and when you reboot again all the icons are back to their original position. If you have not rebooted then reboot your machine if this does not works try to login as a different user and notice the difference. I hope that this will help you

Probably i do not know the reason why your desktop icons disappeared but i can help you so that you can get all your icons back. Its a very simple process you just have to restore your system to a point where your desktop was showing all its icons. I think that this will also reset all your files to the positions in which they were during the restore point. So take care of it before restoring the system.

Well i think that your system is not showing the desktop icons because its infected by some or the other virus so anyhow try to scan your system with a good Antivirus or try to download the Malwarebytes antimalware install it and run a quick scan and get all your threats removed and reboot your system. This will surely restore your desktop icons.

Hello guys firstly i would like to thanks all those who replied me . I tried all the suggestions you all mentioned above i rebooted the system again and again , Also logging in with another account does not help me although it was an admin account. I have not created any images so that i can restore it. In a desperate need to solve this issue any other ideas!!!

To fix this issue you can follow the steps mentioned below
    1. Right click desktop
    2. Select view
    3. Click Show desktop items
    If this does not work for you then The other way to achieve this is as follows

*Right click desktop
    *Go to Personalization
    *Change desktop icons
    *Restore default>ok
    After that follow step 1 2 3 again. I think this will definitely fix your problem.

Hi guys,

I found the cause of the misteriously disappearing Windows 7 desktop icons and the reason why Show desktop icons now and then gets unchecked.

It’s INFRARECORDER !! Try for yourselves, when you start Infrarecorder and close it again, go have a look at “Show desktop icons”, it is unchecked (but the icons are still there). Check it on again and start Infrarecorder…. it is unchecked again.

This Windows 7 “bug” is irritating me since the beginning and now I found the cause: It’s Infrarecorder which is causing this problem.

Test it, please let me know and spread the news

plaza2011 is correct, InfraRecorder does cause this problem.

I'm not sure if it is hardware specific or not. I have setup quite a few Windows 7 computers with Infrarecorder and this is the first time I have noticed this problem. The computer I am experience problems with is a msi CR600-234U laptop which has an Intel processor and nVidia chipset/graphics.

I don't know of any workaround at the moment.

There are many reasons why your Windows 7 desktop icons may be disappearing, and after we eliminate causes like drugs, aliens, schizophrenia, and your evil twin, we are left with 2 ½.

The first step [as stated before] is to confirm whether or not you have your Desktop set up to show icons. This is simple enough to check. Simply right-click your desktop, then hover over <View>, then confirm that <Show Desktop Icons> is checked. If it isn’t, check it.

Now, there was mention of the evil InfraRecorder: [from what I hear] a wonderful CD/DVD App. Unfortunately this program [for some unknown reason] un-checks the above-mentioned <Show Desktop Icons> in the <View> menu. I don’t have InfraRecorder, and I have heard different reports on whether this is a one-time [installation] event, or if this occurs every time you open InfraRecorder.

The second issue has to do with what XP used to call “Desktop Cleanup,” that annoying unused icon scrubber that used to pop up every 60 days until you figured out how to turn it off. Well, Windows 7 has a more Windows 7ish version of this task.

This version runs an icon cleanup operation at 1:00 AM every Sunday. While I have been told that this task will delete all icons that have not been used in seven days, I have found this not to be true. What it will do is delete all icons that do not have an active target. In other words, workplace network icons that you do not have access to while at home. And while it may run this sweep on Sunday mornings, I have also noticed that it will delete all non-active icons whenever my system goes in to forced hibernation. Once I followed the procedure below, this never happened again.

To turn this task off, click on
    Start>
    Programs>
    Accessories>
    System Tools>
    Task Scheduler>

Expand the Folder Path in the left pane, and then navigate to
    Task Scheduler Library>
    Microsoft>
    Windows>
    And then click on the folder <Diagnosis>

In the upper pane, click on the task named <Scheduled>.
    In the right pane, click on <Disable>.

Unfortunately, by disabling this task you may also be turning off other maintenance features that are more important than ditching desktop icons. I have not yet encountered any ill affects as a result of turning this feature off; however, if you prefer, you can use the controls in the lower pane to set up a more efficient schedule that fits your usage, in lieu of turning the whole thing off.

Good luck.