Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Edit ubuntu Startup

Operating Systems

Old 05-01-2010

Edit ubuntu Startup

Hi everybody, current I am an edgy, only I know about operating system that how can I change or edit the ubuntu start up services in my system.But I can only able select the start a specific application when I start my computer. Or when I logged in so there is any .conf file by which I can edit either thru vi or gedit.

Old 05-01-2010

Re: Edit ubuntu Startup

I think you want to install Ubuntu on your system, and you are not going to remove windows operating system. I think you want both operating system. Don't worry, just you have to do that during the time of installation, the only thing you have to keep in your mind that you don't have to overwrite the windows operating system, and you want the dual boot setting . But there is some problem, The GRUB adds 10 more seconds to your start up if you don't press key to countdown.
Old 05-01-2010

It very easy to tweak your GRUB menu by make if changes in menu.lst file by removing from out the grub directory of your Ubuntu file system's boot folder. You also have power the boot order of the operating system. You can also make change in the countdown clock. How ever you there also create a mistake, that you have to some thing tricky to boot on windows or on Ubutntu.
Old 05-01-2010

Removing startup scripts, or edit.
You can install the Debian Runlevel Configuration Tool, rcconf:
$sudo apt-get install rcconf
Then execute rcconf as the root user:
$sudo rcconf
and select/deselect features to begin at startup by down the space bar button to toggle the “*”s, and then use the Tab key to get to “OK” and then press Enter to save.
On the other hand, you can also do a:
$sudo update-rc.d -f remove
Old 05-01-2010

Go toApplication
Then Accessories
Then Terminal
Now Open the file in VI Editor.
vi .profile
Now go to the end of the file.
[Shift]+g
If the .profile was not edit after the install, perform these steps. But if you had change it, then you know what you have to do. Go to end of the file where all the environment setups are completed.
Enter the command-line syntax of the application.
That fires up the GAIM. The ‘&’ is to specify it to make it a background process.
Save it.
[Esc]
:wq
[Enter]

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,