Thread: Issues with Graphics in Windows 7

Issues with Graphics in Windows 7

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop computer which is powered by an Inter Core2Duo processor and Intel DG 13 board. It has an onboard 64mb graphic card and 512mb RAM. I have just upgraded my Operating system from Windows Xp to Windows 7. The problem I am facing is that the graphics are too big and I am not able to change the resolution of the computer. I cant figure out what the problem is. Please help. Is this because of the graphics driver issue?

Re: Issues with Graphics in Windows 7

Yes this is surely an graphics driver issue. Many devices dont work properly if the correct drivers are not installed. Check if the graphics driver are installed properly on the system. To check if the graphics driver are installed and working properly on the system, Go to Device Manager. To open Device manager, Right click on My computer and select Manage. Now Click on Device manager. Now a list of connected devices will be populated on the right hand side. Now Click on Display adapters and check the status of the device.

I think you will have to reinstall the graphics driver again. Uninstall the current installed graphics driver and restart the computer. Now the operating system will detect the display device and will install the available drivers automatically. Windows 7 already has number of preloaded graphics driver which get installed automatically when the device has been detected. The only problem with these drivers is that they are basic drivers and the device which is connected should be in the list. If the device is not in the Windows 7 support list then it will prompt to install the drivers from the CD ROM. Now install the drivers if the operating system prompts. Also update the drivers if necessary. Reinstalling and updating the graphics driver will solve the problem.

Intel motherboard come with a preinstalled Intel Xtreme graphic chipset. You will have to install the drivers for this chipset separately to get the required graphics in Windows 7. You will get the correct version of the Drivers which are required for your chipset on the Intel Support Site. Search and Download the version of Drivers which are suitable for the version of the Chipset and the operating system you are using. Once the drivers are installed see if you can change the resolution or not. If you are not able to change the resolution then configure the graphic card with the following settings. Right Click on Intel Xtreme Graphics Icon in the taskbar and select Properties. Now Select Manage 3D settings. Now Select Flipping Policy as Blit. Turn off Anistropic filtering and Vertical Sync. And Put Triple Buffering in Application Control Mode. Now save and apply the settings and restart the computer. Now you will be able to change the resolution of the computer.

The system requirements of Windows 7 are greater than the current configuration of your computer. Windows 7 will only work properly if the system requirements are fulfilled. Windows 7 requires minimum 1 gb of RAM to work properly while your system has only 512 mb. The graphic requirements of Windows 7 is minimum 128mb graphic card while your system has 64mb onboard graphics adapter. Therefore to be able to use Windows 7 properly you will have to upgrade your system (atleast the RAM and Video Card). Once you have upgraded the system there will be no issue in using Windows 7.

Have you upgraded the Windows after installation? If not then updating the operating system will solve your problem. Initially when Windows 7 was launched it had many issues with compatibility of drivers from different vendors which was solved in the later versions of the Windows. As you have not updated the windows yet hence you are facing the compatibility issue with the current graphics adapter of your system. Update the windows from the official Microsoft site and see if the problem persist. If updating windows does not solve the problem then there is some hardware issue. Hope this post helps.