Thread: Windows Vista cannot be installed on this disk space. Having previous OS.?

Windows Vista cannot be installed on this disk space. Having previous OS.?

As I was having very huge space on my hard drive, I thought to do the Dual Boot. So i thought to install the Windows Vista with my previous operating system Windows XP. So i formatted the partition where i want to install the Vista. Later on when i am trying to install the Vista i am getting the error "Windows Vista cannot be installed on this disk space". I cant understand why this message is coming even after the clean format of the drive where i want to install the Vista. Help me to sort out this issue.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signatureto help him gain world domination

Re: Windows Vista cannot be installed on this disk space. Having previous OS.?

First make sure that you have formatted the hard drive properly. And also check that you are not selecting the same drive where you have installed the Windows XP. because the Error "Having previous OS" comes only when you are having the previous OS loaded on the same partition that you are selecting. Hope this will fix your issue..

Also make sure that your format of hard drive is not Dynamic Volume. Otherwise you will have to convert that into basic volume and then try to install. For more information you can see the link

ERROR : Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes.??

Even I think that you are trying to install the Windows Vista on the dynamic volume. So first try to convert that volume into the basic and then try to install the Windows Vista. Hope that doing this will fix your error.

I am sure that the error "Having previous OS" comes when there is an existing operating system and you are trying to install on that same drive. So i would like to suggest to you format the drive first and then do the clean installation. Also keep in mind that for dual boot you have to select the another drive for installation and not the same drive where you installed the previous OS. In your case, if you have installed the Windows XP in C: drive then you have to install the Windows Vista on D: or other drive (except C: ).

Dr. V Guest

Mostly these Errors comes when you try to install the operating system to hard drive which is not supported by that specific OS. So according to me first format the hard drive and then change the volume, so that your new OS can support that drive. Mostly the drives are dynamic if you are getting the Error "Windows Vista cannot be installed on this disk space." So try to change the volume to the basic using some converter.