Thread: ERROR : Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes.??

ERROR : Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes.??

I've been using the Windows XP operating system for a long time. Since Windows 7 is now popular, so I thought to drop Windows XP and should start using Windows 7. I happily bought Windows 7, and inserted the disc and carried the step by step installation. I selected the drive where Windows XP was previously installed. When I clicked on next i got the following error :
    "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation."
    Since I don't know much about the Windows 7, can somebody please explain me why this is happening.?? Also please help me to solve this issue..!!
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....

Re: ERROR : Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes.??

This happens when you try to install the Windows 7 on the dynamic disk. You might have created the dynamic disk where you loaded your previous OS. To solve this problem, it needs to convert dynamic disk to basic disk. You can use the software Dynamic Disk Converter to convert a dynamic disk into basic disk safely. Dynamic Disk Converter is a perfect dynamic disk conversion software. Its main function is disk conversion from dynamic to basic without loss of data. Moreover Dynamic Disk Converter can ensure Operating System bootable after the conversion. So you can solve the issue by convert dynamic disk to basic disk using the Dynamic Disk Converter.

Re: ERROR : Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes.??

Even I think that you formatted the drives in Windows XP as "dynamic volumes" instead of "basic". If you don't want the data on that disk just go back into Windows XP and delete the volume in 'computer management' and then leave it unpartitioned or formatted for the Windows 7. Later on you can install the Windows 7 on that same partition. You can also delete the partition following the steps :

Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Storage >> Disk Management click on the drive and then 'delete partition'. By doing this also you can delete the partition. And can proceed to the Windows 7 installation.

This is the another way, but a lengthy procedure. First try to reformat the hard disk as a Basic drive while installing the Windows XP. Once you are done with this then you can carry on the installation of Windows 7. Since you have converted the dynamic volumes into the basic while reformatting the drive, I think that you will not get the Error "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space; the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes". The only additional thing is you will have to install the Windows XP again. Hope this will work.

I think that using the Dynamic Disk Converter software to change the nature of volume is the best option. Otherwise it's like wasting the time by doing the same thing, reformatting the hard disk and installing the Windows XP and then changing the dynamic volume to basic. So better to use the Dynamic Disk Converter.

I think that you should have taken the Backup of your data before installing the Windows 7. If there is backup of your data, then try to delete the existing partitions and then create it again. If the same error is coming then you will have to change that from the Computer Management option.