Thread: How to restrict access to drives in My Computer in Windows 7?

How to restrict access to drives in My Computer in Windows 7?

Hi there, I have shared computer which most of the people use and i want to restrict the access of the same so that no body can use the same. Because there are some important data which i don;t want to share with any one. I am using windows 7 as operating system in my computer. So is there any way by which i will restrict the access of the drive of my computer. Any help may be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: How to restrict access to drives in My Computer in Windows 7?

As per your discussion it is clear that you want to restrict the access of the drive in the Windows 7. For that that you have to follow the steps given below which will guide you through the restriction of the same. Go through the step given below.
    • Just click on the Start
    • Then type gpedit.msc in the search box
    • After that look for User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Explorer
    • Then double click on "prevent access to drives from My Computer."
    • Now enable the no access to drive and it is done

Here is the another method to do the same that will help you resove the issu regarding the access of the drive in the Windows 7. All you have to is read the steps and the follow them accordingly. It will definitely solve your issue. So do the same.
    1. Click on the Start
    2. Go to the Run and hit Enter key
    3. After that type regedit in the run box and press enter
    4. Now navigate for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"
    5. After that Right Click on the right pane and click on the new and then to DWORDS
    6. Rename is as Noviewondrive
    7. Right click on the same and click on modify
    8. Enter the value for the restriction and its done

Dr. V Guest

Hey if you are using the above method then you have to be aware of the combination of the restriction values then only you can set the restriction on drive. So i am giving you the combination of the key value which one help you to do the same. Say thanks if you like the same. Hope this will work for you
    • Restrict Access of A and B drives only: 3
    • Restrict Access of C drive only: 4
    • Restrict Access of D drive only: 8
    • Restrict Access of A, B, and C drives only: 7
    • Restrict Access of A, B, C, and D drives only: f
    • Restrict Access of all drives: 3ffff

Hey, For doing the change that you want to make you need to run as administrator without that you cant make the changes that you wish to do regarding the access of the drive. So first take the Administrator privileged and then try to make the change. I hope i have given you the important info regarding the same. Thank you

One thing i want to mention that is not mention in the first post which is the important to follow is that of you are running the Local Group Policy Editor the you have to be aware of the setting of the same. Because home version of the Windows 7 does not support the Local Group Editor Policy. So first make sure that which edition of the Windows 7 you are using and then only install the same and then only you have the access of the gpedit.msc. Bye