Thread: Differences between Windows Vista retail version and OEM versions

Differences between Windows Vista retail version and OEM versions

Recently i had installed Windows 7 on my system. I rarely use my Windows Vista on my machine. I keep hearing that if i buy the OEM copy i can only use it on one computer even if i uninstall it, whereas if i get the retail version i can uninstall and reinstall as many times as i want. Also OEM versions seem to be significantly cheaper but again i have no idea what the difference between the two? So, i would like to know that from where can i download OEM copy and what is the differences between Windows Vista retail version and OEM versions? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Differences between Windows Vista retail version and OEM versions

Depends on what you mean by an OEM version. OEM versions typically are discs that came with a particular computer model and are now being sold off separately by some third-party. The term OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The term is relatively contradicting. According to one section of people, OEM refers to a company which manufactures the product, and releases it to other manufacturer, who in turn, manufactures the main product and includes the product purchased from OEM as a sub-product.

Usually, the OEM product is sold in bulk by the manufacturers of the sub product to the main product developers. It wouldn't activate until they called Microsoft, and told them they were reinstalling it on a new computer. When it comes to Windows, "OEM editions" most often refer to the cheaper versions of Windows made available to "system builders" and other classes of Microsoft partners.

As a general rule, OEM software is usually much cheaper than full retail copies, but only slightly cheaper than retail upgrades. If you were looking to get Windows Vista Ultimate but were scared off by the initial pricing, this might be a good deal for you. The Windows Vista OEM version comes without manuals, doesn’t come in pretty good looking boxes. One can buy the OEM version of Vista from the manufacturers of branded PC’s, popularly assembled PC’s. It will be easy for you to get the OEM version, if you have purchased the computer from such manufacturers.