Thread: Unable to Access Device Manager

Unable to Access Device Manager

Hello, I am not able to access the Device manager. I want to install Audio Driver for my Intel 945 motherboard, but whenever I try to open Device manager it shows message as "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file". Whenever I try to double click on it. It don't open that. Is there any solution regarding this. I am using Windows xp service pack 2 on my computer.

Re: Unable to Access Device Manager

You need to do some task and for that you would be need Windows Xp operating system Cd. First right click on your Device Manager and then by clicking on security tab click on Advanced button. Here you will able to see the Owner tab. Here if your user name is not exist then you need to add it first. Now in safe mode from an Administrator account you need to move to the path of My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Use simple file sharing". And done.

If you want to access the Device manager then you need to follow the steps below:
    • Insert Windows XP Operating system cd in your drive.
    • Click on Start.
    • Now click on Run
    • Here Type cmd and then press enter.
    • In the command prompt type the command below as it is:
      Code:
      sfc /scannow
    • Done

I think you are getting this problem of opening Device Manager due to the problem in your Operating system. For solving this problem you can try for the repairing your Windows and then try to open the Device manger. Or you can reinstall the operating system on your computer which can also solve your other hidden problems. So, try to do this if possible by taking backup of all the data.

Hello, I was also getting the same problem few days ago and then come to know that the Trojan and viruses are making my computers Device Manager unable to access for me. Then I try for the online scan and also used the latest updates for my Avast Home Edition and scan my computer from that. Then my problem got solved. So, you also need to check for it. So, just check whether this problem is occurring due to the virus infection or something other.

If you are getting problem while opening Device Manger from one way then you can try for another one as follows:
    • Click on start and in run box type devmgmt.msc.
    • Make right click on my computer and then click on Manage. From here click on Device Manager.
    • You can alos type the command below in your command prompt:
      Code:
      start devmgmt.msc