Thread: How to change Ubuntu root password?

How to change Ubuntu root password?

Hey friends, I have a small issue regarding the use of the Ubuntu that i have installed a month before and forgot that i have installed in my system. But today when i am trying to install some of the application on the same which require some admin work for them but the problem is that i don't remember the password of the root. So tell me how to change the root password of the Ubuntu. Any help may be appreciated. Thank you

Dr. V Guest

Re: How to change Ubuntu root password?

Hi there, It is very easy to change the password of the root in Ubuntu. Just follow these step which are helpful for the same. Open Terminal and then write the "sudo passwd" in it after that the Ubuntu will prompt you for the current password. Enter the current password and the click on the Enter key from the keyboard. Now again the Ubuntu will ask you for the new password for the root. Type the new one and and confirm it and it is done. Thanks

As per i know that Ubuntu did not set any password for the root. To make your own password you have to mention you own super user password. This password is set while you are installing the Ubuntu on your system for the First time. But if you want to set the password manually then you have to use the shell command for the same i.e. "sudo passwd". Thank you

Hey, It is set by default the root user is setup at the time of the installation of the Ubuntu. At it has no password for the security reason as set by the Ubuntu. It can be set initially with the user by accessing the root user privilege and then you can set the new password for the same. But it is strictly advised that don't change the root password from the default hash for many reason. If you need the access the use "sudo -i"

Why don't you log in as the another user. that will also enhance the feature of the admin with the super user access then you can use the below given code to became the super user i.e. sudo -i -u <username>. Suppose if you want to access the super user status with the user name of the "Ronald" then you have to use following syntax for the same i.e. "sudo -i -u Ronald". So try the same and see the working of it. Buy