Thread: Boot the kernel program

Boot the kernel program

Hello,
    I am a little curious about the computer, I like to give me challenges And I have fun creating a mini OS very basic (for me only). What should I make my PC to boot anything between windows. I have heard of MBR, but I do not see how to access it.
    My question is: how to boot the kernel program? Where to place (and how), there must have a special program of it? Should I change the BIOS settings? Awaiting for the reply, thanks.

Re: Boot the kernel program

Hello
    I think before talking about designing an OS (even mini and basic), it would be good to learn (and understand) how an OS boots. For example, why would you want to change the BIOS? A PC can boot multiple OS (Windows, Linux, BSD Unix, etc.). And this too without changing the BIOS. So, I think we should begin by filling a few gaps before proceeding further.

Hi,
    Precisely this is what I am trying to learn, there are many courses explaining the principles of an OS. I already know a few tricks. But how to start, I have not found one. I was talking about the bios, because I thought the choice of the bone at startup, a process is not tied to a particular OS. If you know of links to tutorials, it would be helpful to me. Any more information regarding this topic will be great for me to start with the work.

Hello
    I have learned about this, so I can explain you. Though I am not a master, but I will try to explain you.
    MBR: code located on sector 0 of the boot disk of your PC (and any other media) (512 bytes) to be executed after the BIOS loaded. This code can run your OS, or select one you want to run if you have more.
    To run a mini OS:
    + Step 1: Write a program "BootLoader" of 512 bytes that role is to boot the kernel of the OS desired
    + Step 2: Write the kernel of the OS (in case you want to create your bones)
    + Step 3: Write a program (running on Windows or Linux for example) that will copy the bootloader to sector 0 of your boot disk and copy the kernel on the boot disk to the location of your choice (but of course known by the bootloader).
    I have tried to explain you, hope you understand the concept.

Dr. V Guest

Hello,
    The above explained concept is perfect, but I think you should take care of the following while doing it. I advise you very (very very) high, to develop OS on your disk, do not change the MBR of your hard drive! Because if you change the sector 0 (MBR) of this record, or data randomly (assembler it not always work the first time). It is likely (unless a miracle) that your old OS lights up, and your PC will do nothing. Just take this tip.

Hi,
    I think I have understood the concept and like to add the following
    - Never run source code downloaded from the net without having understood before! You never know what it is.
    - No tinkering of course, because even without tinkering can already make careless mistakes.
    Thanks for the help guys.