Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Restore error 0x8007007b

System Restore error 0x8007007b

Hello

I have a problem of creating a restore point on my Windows 7 ultimate and perhaps most importantly, i unable to create restore point and when I was trying to activate this feature, I have a quick message to the screen that I copied:

"the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. System Restore will now close"

Needless to say that if I try again, I always receive the same message. I need not say its since installing Windows 7 so I have no restore point available to me , I wanted to schedule an automatic daily.

How can i get rid of it?

Re: System Restore error 0x8007007b

Microsoft help quote:

System Restore fails with the following error:

There was an unexpected error. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect (0x8007007b). System Restore will now close.

This error is caused by faulty imaging by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that results in the presence of an invalid volume. To see if this is the problem, go to System in Control Panel and open System Protection. There will be two volumes shown, one of which is selected and named "Missing." Selecting C:\ and Deselecting "Missing" solves the problem.
    So :
    • Right click Computer and choose Properties.
    • Click on System Protection.
    • In the list of available drives look if you have a partition into two (2 times the same partition), one with the word "Missing" or "missing".
    • If so, uncheck this partition Missing and it should solve the problem.

Two easy steps to follow:

1. First Press the Windows Key on your keyboard and type or copy paste SystemPropertiesProtection and press enter.
    2. Now deselect the "C: Missing" checkbox and select "Local Disk C:" to enable System Restore.

Refer to following similar issue threads:

System Restore Error
    System Restore won't execute
    Error number: 0x8007007B

Hope this helps.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

• Click the Start Menu will appear.
    • Type sysdm.cpl in the search box and press <Enter>.
    • The User Account Control window will prompt for permission to run the program.
    • Click Continue.
    • The System Properties window appears.
    • Click the System Protection tab.
    • Under Automatic restore points, uncheck any invalid or duplicate location.
    • Click to check the C: drive with the Windows Logo.
    • Click on Apply and click Ok.

Source: support.dell.com

I was able to get to the point of "deselecting" the missing drive, but nothing happens when I try to "unselect" it? Help?

Quote Originally Posted by blwalker View Post
    I was able to get to the point of "deselecting" the missing drive, but nothing happens when I try to "unselect" it? Help?
    Are you using Windows Vista becuase Vista normally gives you no option except "full computer backup" . That is why you cannot deselect any drive at all. That is why it is called a "full computer backup". By the way could you please tell us which drive you are not able to deselect? If your system drive is C, but it insists on incorrectly showing D as your system drive instead, I have no idea what you can do about it, nor can I imagine why it is misidentifying the system drive.

i have tried ir but didnt get the perfect answer. Do u have anyother way to quit this problem

To deselect You have to click the "Configure" button below the list of volumes, then new window appears, You see a list of 3 option on the top of the window and select "Turn off the System Protection". Hit OK, select Your system volume, click "Configure" and similar window appears - now You look at the bottom and set how much space the function should use on Your drive... Hit OK, then again OK and... that's it. q:D

Please, excuse me if things I quote are not exactly the same in English OSes as I'm translating from my Polish version... q;) //Yeah, I'm Polish; who drank "Tyskie" beer? That's from my city q;)//

And thanks guys for help! I have 3 volumes and there's place for 3 volumes in the list, so I didn't see the 4th volume, which was the Missing one that definitely disabled my System Protection... I love You guys!

Just received new computer with NO restore points and was unable to change the restore file size with a error .... 0x8007007

NOTE:

This procedure will remove your existing restore points.

Turn off system protection and turn in back on as stated by ari_ekt:

Right click on computer
    - Select Properties
    - Select System Protection
    - Select Configuration

Now, turn off "System Protection"
    - Apply

I rebooted at this point.

Go back in and select "Restore system settings and previous versions of files"
    adjust the disk space you want to use
    - Select apply

anyway, drive c: Missing is gone

This is where I am now.

Good Luck

Hi helpjack,

Can you go to System in Control Panel and open System Protection. There will be two volumes shown, one of which is selected and named “Missing.” Selecting C:\ and deselecting “Missing” solves the problem. After that click Start, type SystemPropertiesProtection.exe. The System Restore Properties window will open. You may see two C: drives in the listing with the same Volume label. Deselect the checkbox for the duplicate volume, and enable the checkbox for the correct drive (the one with Windows logo).

Expertz,

I read that and tried it.

I was unable to select either drive. Both drives were turn on.

I have the one drive turn on now and the c: missing drive is gone.

Now, how does the system know when to run a check point?

Quote Originally Posted by helpjack View Post

Now, how does the system know when to run a check point?
    You mean to say that when to run system restore point. Look, before changing any of your system settings you should always set a System Restore Point in order to make recovery easier in case of problems open the Start menu and go to Programs menu and then the Accessories menu and open the System Tools menu and finally, start System Restore.

I can't run Systemcheck from the windows key because I'm in the System Recovery Options, because my partition software screwed up my HD

Quote Originally Posted by Javtex View Post
    I can't run Systemcheck from the windows key because I'm in the System Recovery Options, because my partition software screwed up my HD
    So, do you get the same error message or some different error code while using the system restore. If you still can’t get System Restore to run properly, try adjusting the disk space allocated for System Restore since you might have run out of it. Microsoft recommends at least 300MB of free hard disk space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast