Thread: HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl Windows 7 issue

HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl Windows 7 issue

I'm having HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl laptop on which i had installed Windows Vista as my operating system. Just few days back i had upgraded my Windows Vista to Windows 7. I had used Windows 7 upgrade disks from HP for the up gradation process. Overall I have no complaints, but above my laptops keyboard is a touch sensitive strip with volume control, movie controls, etc. Now the problem is when i try to turn on my volume, it shows as working whereas the volume on/off indicator can be seen in red. It states that the volume is turned off even tho my volumes on and fully functioning. So, can any one tell me that how can i resolve HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl Windows 7 issue? Any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl Windows 7 issue

The advice to every Windows 7 beta user is to set your UAC setting to “high”. Most users who move to the next version of Windows do so by buying a new PC (about 95 percent). This means that the larger majority of users are already not affected by the biggest issue that is plaguing Windows 7; that's quite good news for Microsoft. This will make sure granting privileges are only in the control of your own mouse clicks and should prevent a malicious application from exploiting this and the previous flaw. Again, the balance between usability and security comes under the spotlight.

It turns out that there is a perfectly acceptable middle ground, and I'm calling on Microsoft to make this change the default taskbar view style in Windows 7. I suggest you uninstall the Quick Launch software from Programs and Features. Restart the system. Download and install the latest QuickLaunch software from the internet.

Also, try uninstalling Sound drivers from Device Manager and restart the unit. My recommendation is to choose the middle option, Combine when taskbar is full. This is superior to Never combine because that last option triggers a difficult-to-find and use taskbar switcher UI to appear if the taskbar fills up. While I am an HP employee, I am not a expert on all our products. When I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP.

Finally, to clarify my perspective on the whole issue, Windows 7 is a great operating system and these UAC issues are just two particular cases in a very small list of notable issues. The devices I had installed were "ATI High Def Audio Device" and "IDT High Def Audio CODEC". The IDT High Def reinstalled but the ATI High def was replaced by "High Def Audio Device". Is this normal and should I be concerned in anyway?

Your system is with IDT High Definition Audio driver. While most of the Windows 7 Beta experience is overwhelmingly positive, there is one dark side I've encountered: Sporadic stability issues with key applications. ATI might have been installed which is not needed for the unit. So, when you uninstalled both, only the needed one gets reinstalled.

Windows 7 users are not going to want to set their UAC setting to High. The result is that Windows 7 defaults to the Basic theme, which may not look as spiffy, but it works just as well as the Aero theme. The whole point of this whole exercise, which has ended up creating a flaw, is to shut UAC up – make it quieter, comparatively to vista. It annoys the every day user. It annoys me, and I work with Vista machines.