Thread: Safe mode Loop......Help

Safe mode Loop......Help

Hello friends, Please help me in this one. I have a Sony Vaio laptop which runs on Windows XP. I wanted to debug some issues so i wanted to boot the system in Safemode. F8 key on the keyboard was not working therefore i used msconfig option to boot in safe mode but now i am stuck in the safe mode loop. Whenever i try to boot the system, it gives option to boot in safe mode but when selected it returns to the same option. I tried many times to boot but it returns to same window. What can be the possible problem behind this and how can i get out of it?

Re: Safe mode Loop......Help

This is a very different issue which i have seen for the first time. It is mostly because of the windows corruption. As you were trying to get into safe mode to debug some issue's i suppose it has to be related to some virus which must have corrupted your windows installation. Restoring the windows installation will solve this issue.

I believe that Sony laptops come with a recovery utility installed on them. You can create the restore disks using this utility to avoid data loss during the restoration of the windows. When you start the recovery utility, it prompts you to insert a blank dvd in the drive. Once the DVD is inserted, it writes the data which is required for back-up. The utility will ask for about 3 to 4 DVD's depending on the amount of data on your computer. Once all the DVD's are written the utility will start the windows restore itself and will guide you through the process.

Check the hard drive for any spyware or trojans as such problems are created by them. Remove the hard drive from the laptop and then connect it to any windows pc as a external hard drive. Run an antivirus scan and spyware scan on the hard drive with an updated antivirus. If any files are infected on the system, then repair or quarantine them. Becareful not to delete the system files which are infected as it may lead to total system crash. You can also perform an online scan on the drive by visiting official site of Mcaffee. Once the hard drive is cleared from viruses, there wont be any problem while starting the pc in safe mode.

There is no other way to get of the loop. Your windows installation is corrupted which is creating this problem. You will need to format and then install the windows again on the computer. To do the installation you will need an windows xp bootable cd. First insert the CD in the drive and enter in to bios setup. Now change the boot order and make the CD rom drive as the first boot device. Now restart the computer and press any key to boot from CD. Now the set up process will start. Follow the onscreen instruction and complete the set up.

I don't think the safe mode will allow the windows set up to run. You will have to remove the hard drive and then format it by connecting to some other computer. Once the drive is formatted, connect it back to your laptop and then install a fresh copy of windows on it. Before formatting the drive, remove the battery of the laptop. Plug in the adaptor and switch it on. Now press the power button and hold it for 30 seconds. Switch off the adaptor and then replace the battery. Hopefully the computer will boot in normal mode.