Thread: Getting error "Cannot retrieve repository metadata" in Fedora

Getting error "Cannot retrieve repository metadata" in Fedora

Okay I don't know what to do with this error message which keeps coming whenever I try to update Fedora. I had installed this Fedora version 11 Leonidas like a month ago. Everything was working fine till last week. When my sister tried to update it gave an error
    "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml)”
    And since from that time I am not able to update my computer. Please can someone help me out.

Same for me

Even I had updated my computer 2 weeks back and that update was successfully done. But then 3 days ago when i again tried to update my computer it gave the error message
    "Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again"
    I checked my settings of fedora and it looks like during the last successful update some of the system files had changed and the update was not able to take a backup also so it couldn't recover the bad files. Is there any issue with the Fedora Update Server.? Can some one please help me out.

Issue with the Fedora update

Don't worry people it is not a big problem. There was some issue with the Fedora's last update. All the users who had updated their system during that time are facing this issue. And yes that update was not able to make back up files because of which the system is not able to recover from the error. And the Fedora team is working on that error and we also are checking some settings in the system so that the problem can be corrected. And this error took place because of the 'yum' update which took place during the last successful update done.

Finally found a Solution

Finally we got a Solution for the update error. There was issue with the "yum" package. And it mainly caused for Fedora 11. You just need to follow some steps given and do some changes to the repository files.
    You will need to edit two repository files "/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo" and "/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo"
    Then un-comment all the line which start with the term "baseurl" and place a comment before all the lines that start with "mirrorlist". This changes should be made for both the files given above.
    Now you have to edit the "/etc/hosts" file and append the following
    80.239.156.215 mirrors.fedoraproject.org
    213.129.242.84 mirrors.rpmfusion.org
    Now restart your system and try to update your computer through "yum" and see if any problem persist. There shouldn't be now though.