Thread: How to fix Virtual memory error?

How to fix Virtual memory error?

Hello friends, Recently I am facing an unusual problem with my desktop PC which is running on Windows XP. Whenever i try to run more than one application on my computer, the system gives an Virtual memory too low error. Because of this error i am not able to run more than one application at time. Please suggest some solution to solve this problem. Following is the configuration i am using. Intel Pentium 4 processor 1.4 ghz. Intel 910 Motherboard. 512 DDR Ram.

Re: How to fix Virtual memory error?

What type of applications are you trying to run? Looking at your configuration it seems that it is enough to run number of applications smoothly. The problem should arise only when you are trying to run high end gaming applications along with some music application. Both games and music application require high memory and CPU usage for good performance. If you are getting this error while running a game and a music application together, then i would suggest to run only one of them at a time as it may also cause the system to crash.

It is clear that the virtual memory of the system is getting used up very fast. Check for the applications which will be running in background. Close all the unnecessary processes which are not required, don't close the system processes as it may shut down the computer or restart it. Check the virtual memory usage of all the processes running by opening task manager. When the task manager opens, Click on View and then select columns. Now Check mark the Virtual memory box. Now you will be able to see which processes are using up the virtual memory and can close them to avoid problems.

Scan your computer with an Antivirus who's virus database is updated recently. Many virus's duplicate the names of the executable files which are always used. Due to this whenever you run an application, these duplicate files also get executed with it. Due to this there are lot of additional processes which start unnecessarily and take up the virtual memory. Repair the infected files if you can or quarantine them. To free up some virtual memory, you can go to Task manager and close the unnecessary processes which have duplicate names and which dont have system as there user. By closing these process some of the memory will be free therefore you wont get that message.

The problem you are facing is because of some software which are not developed properly which creates memory leak in the system. Memory leak is a very common issue which is caused due to poor coding of the program or because of some poorly debugged applications which continue to use more and more memory untill the system is out of memory and shuts itself down. Uninstall any such application which you may have installed in past few days and see if the problem persists. Increase the system memory if you can to solve the problem permanently.

Increase the paging file size so that the virtual memory size also increases. Paging file (Virtual memory is a location on the hard drive which is used by the windows as a back-up memory. Virtual memory is used by the applications or windows in same manner as the RAM is used. Whenever there is shortage of RAM and if there is an application to executed then the Virtual memory is used. The size of the paging file can be increased but ideally it should be 1.5 times the system memory.