Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 GRUB error

Ubuntu 9.10 GRUB error

I had an old dell laptop and i have installed Ubuntu 9.10. The problem is after updating i am getting error message. Finally when I rebooted my dell laptop and tried to boot from hdd and it is giving following error Grub loading please wait Error 15. Does any one know how to fix this problem.

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 GRUB error 15

If you can boot different kernels then check your grub config and see if your lastest kernel is commented out. In your case you seem to be missing the config files too, like grub was never installed fully. Reinstall grub with repair option on cds. Could do a fdisk/mbr option which will delete grub. Could also check your grub config. Can you boot different kernels??

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 GRUB error

You can Fixed Grub Error 15 problem in ubuntu 9.10 by doing a text-based grub install off the 6.10 cd. It looks like you have a separate /boot partition, but the directory structure does not have /boot just /grub - from your find /grub/stage1... Grub 2 loads before the operating system. It's modular components are loaded on an as-needed basis. Menu display behavior is generally determined by settings in /etc/default/grub.

If it's the kernel that it's missing ( kernel...):make sure that the file it is referring to exists on your boot partition. To find the version using the GUI method simply do the following : System > About Ubuntu. There are two commands you can use: cat /etc/issue or you can use cat /etc/lsb-release and finally to find your kernel version and a few more details about your machine use the uname command which, per the man pages, shows system information.

The error gives you a message “Error 15: File not found!” simply because the file grub wants is not there. why? because grub is looking into a wrong device. This error can occur in two different stages of the GRUB configuration, either during the initial configuration (installing GRUB in the master boot record) or after booting the system and attempting to launch Linux (or any other entry).You need to make changes to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to fix the problem so that grub looks into the correct device but first find out where is your root partition.

It's really weired that grub is not properly started. It's as if grub is installed on /dev/sda but it can't access the boot partition And in GRUB install set "first sector of boot partition" and the booting files of linux will be install on slave HDD in /boot on hdd1 partition I think.