Thread: Apple 64 bit operating system support

Apple 64 bit operating system support

I need some information on 64 bit operating system. Does it supports this types of applications properly. I am not sure about this. And is it necessary not to use 64 bit application on leopard. And that too why. Is it possible to switch between 64 bit to 32 bit kernel mode. And does the 64 bit addresses more memory than 32 bit.

Re: Apple 64 bit operating system support

You have the question that is the Apple application are of 64-bit in all now. I am not knowing so much about the Apple. But I am using the snow leopard. And I can tell about that as I know what it run. I do not about the other application, but the snow leopard work with the 64-bit. It also has he final cut studio and the iWork.

If you are using the 64-bit and that also for the Apple product then there is no problem in it. And you had asked that to use the 64-bit to the kernel if you want to, yes you can do it, But is a third party extension. But the problem is that it will not work properly with the 64-bit kernel. You can change between each other by just by a restart.

After you had read the above reply may or not you will get a question that how you can switch between the 64-bit and the 32-bit kernel mode. It is set as default that the snow leopard will start with 32-bit. To change to the 64-bit, you have to restart the system and hold the 6 and 4 button on the other hand. By using the third party software you can change to it and restart.

If you are running the 64-bit and if you have increase the memory, is it necessary to increase the memory of the RAM. No it is not necessary to increase it. As the Mac hardware is set with a particular limit, it cannot be increased due to what software is running on it. Some people do the experiment on this that we can run more then the maximum RAM.

It is not that we cannot use more then the memory of the RAM. In the 64-bit of CPU's it as a capacity to run lot more RAM. Now a day you can see that the chip which is of a 32-bit in the Intel's Pentium 4 has a capacity to run up to 4GB of RAM. Which split between the operating system and it's applications. And physical memory is very attractive.