Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 24-12-2009

Query about places.sqlite file

Well i have a bit of a complicated problem. I have Windows 7 on one of my hard drives and Kubuntu 9.10 on a different hard drive. I have a profile on my Firefox which i use to keep my bookmarks etc. My issue is that i wish to use the places.sqlite file from the profile on my Linux based operating system. Both the profile are for Firefox 3.5 and have a places.sqlite file which stores my history,bookmarks. I wish to know how to make the Firefox profile in Kubuntu to use the places.sqlite file from my Windows 7 Firefox profile. I have been suggested to write a symlink for it but i have no idea as to how to go about it. Please give some guidance or tips to do the same.
Old 24-12-2009

Re: Query about places.sqlite file

Well why are you inclining towards a tedious method such as symlink for this purpose. The method that you should adopt is straightforward according to my opinion. You should use a add-on for Firefox called xmarks. Use it on any computer you use. It will seamlessly integrate with your web browsers and will sync the bookmarks, history automatically without you having to adopt the symlink procedure. It also keeps a backup of all the bookmarks should you feel it is not working out for you. It will sync with the other browsers too which makes your system not depend on a single browser on any of the hard drives. This support is available across different operating systems so you do not have to worry about Linux or windows 7 being compatible.
Old 24-12-2009

Well i can tell you the procedure to do all this according to your wishes. First of all you need to have your Win7 partition mounted. The command would look something like this :
ln -s /path/to/source/places.sqlite /path/to/destination/places.sqlite
Here you need to remember a couple of things while adopting this procedure. When you open Firefox ot copies the places.sqlite file to places.sqlite-journal. It will zero the .sqlite file. This also applies vice versa when closing Firefox. So assume that Firefox crashes in Windows 7 and then you don't re-open it. When you log in to Kubuntu the file will be empty.
Old 24-12-2009
Dr. V

You can actually share the complete mozilla folder between different operating systems, in your case it is Windows 7 and Kubuntu. The catch here is that when an operating system creates the new file it will set the permissions to do a write procedure only to itself and not the other operating system available due to dual boot. In Windows and linux only the current user can modify or write to the files. The chmod command in Linux is to adjust these permissions. You will have to give read and write permissions to these files. The safe way to go about here would be to use +rw but usually the people facing such problems will give away all the rights to a file to fix it.
Old 24-12-2009

Well ill try and give you the exact procedure to do this, it is as follows.
Open the terminal for this. Use the change directory or cd command to get to the right directory containing the profile folder. You will need to be logged in your user profile for this. Rename the file in case you mess up the procedure. An even better idea would be to us cp and copy it to another file name just in case the worst expected happens. Create the symlink so that the Linux profile uses the Windows places.sqlite file. The symlink can be created as follows:
ln -s /media/NTFS_Windows_7/Users/<user>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/<profile>.default./places.sqlite places.sqlite
The user in that will be replaced by <me> tag. Hope this helps and feel free to revert back if you face any issues doing this.
Old 24-12-2009

Hey devasis, thanks a lot for giving the procedure to do this. I was using xmarks on my system. But i would rather have something on my computer i can rely on than depending on a internet link to sync my bookmarks on the same system. I have followed the procedure laid out by devasis for this and it has worked perfectly for me. I had kept a backup of the places.sqlite file should this go down south which it didn't. Thanks all of you for your responses and comments.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,