Thread: BSOD caused by Ntkrnlmp.exe in Windows 7

BSOD caused by Ntkrnlmp.exe in Windows 7

I have installed windows 7 in my system recently and things were working fine but now I am getting a BSOD and I have checked out the debugger tool and it is directing to ntkrnlmp.exe. I don't have an idea about the same and I am not able to find out the cause of this issue. I also want to mention that this bsod has appeared suddenly and I had never come across any bsod before. The bsod appears randomly but I want to get rid of the same as soon as possible. So is there anyone who can help me out here??

Re: BSOD caused by Ntkrnlmp.exe in Windows 7

I am aware of the BSODs caused by Ntkrnlmp.exe and it is basically related to Driver, RAM sticks, Windows update, power supply and so. I will suggest you to first check these things out and let me know if you finding anything as suspicious with them. I think that there is something wrong with your ram but I am not that sure about the same. So just test out the things that I have mentioned and then post back the result you get for them, so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with the same as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer^Ring View Post
    I am aware of the BSODs caused by Ntkrnlmp.exe and it is basically related to Driver, RAM sticks, Windows update, power supply and so. I will suggest you to first check these things out and let me know if you finding anything as suspicious with them. I think that there is something wrong with your ram but I am not that sure about the same. So just test out the things that I have mentioned and then post back the result you get for them, so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you with the same as well.

I have now tested out the running memtest and I did not found anything as suspicious in the test, the rams were able to pass the memtest . I have tried updating the drivers to the latest but then I don’t know why it is not making any difference. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the power supply in my case and I have inspected it thoroughly.

Anyways I have not understood what you meant by windows update? I mean I have been installing the update regularly, can there be an issue because of the same? I don’t have much idea about all this,so can you provide me some detail idea on that? Any further help regarding this will be appreciated.

I meant that this issue can also arise because of a corrupt installation of windows update. Since you have mentioned that the ram has passed the memtest I will suggest you to check out the video card as well, if you don’t find anything wrong with them then you can try out doing a system restore to the point when you were not having the issue. If you want then you can try using the last known configuration option as well. If you are not aware of these things then refer to the below steps.
    • To start the system using Last Known Good Configuration go to start click on the Shut Down button and then on Restart. Now press and hold the F8 key when the computer starts make sure you are pressing the key before the logo appears, try again if you are not able to get in to the Boot Options. When you enter the Boot Options click on Advanced Boot Options and then using the arrow keys select the Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) and then hit enter. Now after the system starts inspect it and see if you are getting the same error message again.
    • If yes then you can proceed with system restore. To do a System Restore close all the program that might be running and restart the system. Now when the system restarts click on the Start button and then type “System Restore” without the quotes and when you get it in the list then click on the same. If you are prompted for the admin id and password then enter the same and proceed. After that simply follow the steps in the wizard and then select a restore point and restore the system.

Just check out these things and see if you are able to get rid of the bsod or not.

As far as the NTKRNLMP is concerned I will like to inform you that it is a "NT KeRNeL, Multi-Processor version" which is quite important. The issue can be cause because of the software as well as hardware. So you will have to check out for the same and find it out, if you think that there is something wrong with the hardware then you can go through the below trouble shooting.

Check out all the rams in your system and run the diagnostic software that you might have got with the computer manufacturer. If you find any of them to be faulty then replace it and make sure that all the RAM are having the same speed.

If you don’t find any of the ram to be faulty then Try removing or swapping out controllers and the other peripherals and see if any peripherals are appearing to be faulty.

If possible try a different motherboard. I also wanted to add if you are over clocking the speed of your processor then set the same to the normal speed and see if it is making any change.

You should also check out for updated hardware drivers as well as BIOS updates. You can also take out the graphics card and run the system using single ram and if you get the same error message with any if the ram than that ram might be faulty and you will have to get it replaced.

My system specs are as followed:
    • Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4,00GHz
    • Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    • 3x2 GBs Kingston HyperX 1866mhz
    • Sapphire HD5870 GDDR5 1GB

I am getting the same bsod after updating the bios. I thought something might have gone wrong with the latest bios so tried restoring back to previous version and loaded the optimized default but I am still getting the same bsod again. I have not yet overclocked the system and I have inspected my system hardware like ram, video card, power supply etc and they are appearing to be working fine. Can this issue be because of some other hardware components as I have checked about the same and have found most of the people saying either this is related to a faulty ram or video card. In my case they both are running fine and I am not able to track out the actual cause of this issue, is there anyone who can help me out as well. Is there anything else that needs to be checked?