Thread: SQL Server 2005 not starting in Windows 7

SQL Server 2005 not starting in Windows 7

I was working with SQL Server 2005 without any problems in Windows XP SP2. But, now I have upgraded to Windows 7, a couple of days ago and SQL Server 2005 is not starting in Windows 7. I dont know whether it is compatible with Windows 7. I am sure that there is no problem with the setup since I had used the same CD for installation into Windows XP operating system. Is there any technique that I can use to make SQL Sever 2005 run in Windows 7. Please reply because it is a very important software that I am working with in my system.

An installation error has occurred

I guess that SQL Server 2005 is compatible with Windows 7, since it is a Microsoft product. If SQL Server 2005 not starting in Windows 7, then I think that an installation error has occurred. Such errors occur because some additional programs run in the background of the installation program. This why you always see a message given at the beginning of the installation process: "Please exit any running programs before installation starts". Now, the only technique to make it work is to uninstall the software and then restart the system. Now, install SQL Server 2005 with no programs running in the background.

The setup in the CD must have become corrupt

You have mentioned in your problem that you did the installation from the CD. The reason that SQL Server 2005 not starting in Windows 7 may be that the setup in the CD must have become corrupt. Such problems normally occur when a CD is used for a long time or if a corrupted setup is copied onto the system. I suggest you to try installing the software from some other CD or by downloading the setup from the internet. Your problem will hopefully be solved.

SQL Server 2008 works fine in Windows 7

There may be a compatibility issue because of which SQL Server 2005 may not be starting in Windows 7. I use Windows 7 operating system and I can assure you that SQL Server 2008 works fine in Windows 7. I advice you to use this version of SQL Server as this is a better version and it has many additional features as compared to the version that you are using. As time passes only the newer versions will be supported by the upcoming platforms.

Dual boot system can help in this situation

There are many programs and applications that are not compatible with Windows 7. SQL Server 2005 is not starting in Windows 7 because it also may be an incompatible software with Windows 7. Dual boot system can help in this situation. To run such incompatible softwares and applications, it is recommended to have more than one operating system in the machine. I suggest you to install Windows XP along with Windows 7, but make sure that both the operating systems are in different drives. You will get a Windows boot manager at when you start the machine and log into the operating system that you want.

Dr. V Guest

You made a mistake by switching to Windows 7

SQL Server 2005 is not starting in Windows 7 because it may not be compatible with the operating system. There are many such incompatible programs in Windows 7. I guess that you made a mistake by switching to Windows 7 since you could have simply changed to Windows Vista if you wanted to upgrade the OS. I am telling this because there is very less difference between Windows Vista and Windows 7. Also, Windows 7 is very expensive as compared to the other operating systems. So, in all you have made a loss of yourself by upgrading your system to Windows 7.