Thread: Full screen flash not working on Ubuntu 9.10

Full screen flash not working on Ubuntu 9.10

Hey, i have installed Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala 64-bit on my system. It is powered by AMD Athlon and has a Nividia 6800 GT graphic card. Well my issue isn't exactly that flash isn't working. I have followed the instructions to install flash which works fine. I can watch the standard youtube videos and flash movies in the browser or in full screen. My issue is, i cant view movies or the content in full screen on my Ubuntu for some sites. Here is what happens, i press the full screen button to view the content in full screen,black screen pops up with a message at the top saying the advertisement will finish in 60 seconds, the timer won't work properly and in the end no video appears. One such site is demand5 where i have been trying to watch some episodes. Please help as i have ran out of ideas on how to fix this.

Re: Full screen flash not working on Ubuntu 9.10

Start firefox from the terminal and see if you get errors from Flash. Are you running the actual version of 64 bit or the 32 bit version through nspluginwrapper? Right click on the video you are trying to play and uncheck enable hardware acceleration from there. See if that makes any difference. I think it has something to do with the 64 bit plugin. You can also give lowering your screen resolution a try in the case of that site and see if that works for you. That worked for me in the case of youtube once so worth a shot.

Well make sure you have the latest version of adobe flash player. This is necessary so we can rule out the compatibility issue out of the window. Make sure that add-on's like Noscript are not running in the background in case you are using Firefox. If you are using IE make sure the security level for it are not set to high. Make sure compiz is off when you are using a browser to view a video on those sites. The solution to turn off hardware acceleration is actually useful in case of youtube videos in my opinion, but that isn't really your issue so i don't think it will work for you.

Well it seems the advertisement you mentioned might lead to this issue. Use a plugin to block those advertisements and see if it changes anything. I use adblock plus which blocks such kind of advertisements from videos. It is possible that you might need to watch those advertisements first to make those videos work. In that case you can disable adblock. The option you get with it is that you can run the content you want on the sites you need on and block it for other times.

The Ubuntu packaged version of flash has a lot of bugs in it which is a known fact. If you have installed those then that explains the inconsistency you have mentioned. You should try using the native version of flash. You can do that by following the procedure i will mention below:

1. Remove the flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer packages.
    2. Download flashplayer10 from the macromedia site.
    3. Extract libflashplayer-*.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz.
    4. It will extract libflashplayer.so
    5. Copy libflashplayer.so to ~/.mozilla/plugins.

It is possible that it is a fault with Adobe. Adblock plus is known to mess with javascript on the page so i don't see it as being helpful here in your case, my advice would be not to mess with it. It will break the flash player on most websites. Desktop visual effects could be an issue here, try disabling compiz.

Hey guys thanks a lot. But it seems the issue is with Adobe. I tried to use the same website on a Windows vista machine and it gave the same problems till i upgraded my flash to version 10. Disabling hardware acceleration might work on youtube videos but it has not worked for me on the particular websites i am trying to use. Adblock didn't work as well but it messed up my videos on other websites too as was mentioned by the poster above me. So till there is a fix or patch released by Adobe guys i think i will have to accept that some sites won't run properly on my system. I am sure i can find alternatives till then. Thanks for all your help guys.